BYU tennis: Cougar women fall to SMC in WCC Tennis Championships
In the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Championships, the No. 57 BYU women’s tennis team battled in all six singles matches but could not pick up a win, dropping a 4-0 match to Saint Mary’s at the Barnes Tennis Center on Friday.
The No. 2 seed Cougars were down by one entering the singles matches after not picking up the doubles point.
“We were slow today when we started our doubles matches,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We couldn’t pick up our energy when we headed into the singles matches. It just wasn’t our day.”
At No. 2 doubles for the Cougars were Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Morgan Anderson. The duo played tough but eventually lost, 8-2, to Saint Mary’s Danielle Flores and Jade Frampton. At the No. 3 doubles, BYU’s Nicolette Tran and Savannah Ware battled but fell to Saint Mary’s Jamie Pawid and Catherine Leduc, 8-2. The Cougars Toby Miclat and Mayci Jones were down by just one, 6-7, at the No. 1 doubles spot, but that match did not finish once the Gaels had secured the doubles point.
Competing at No. 1 singles for BYU was Jones. She played against the Gaels’ Jullien who won in straight sets, 1-6, 3-6.
Anderson was at No. 6 singles battling Saint Mary’s Kaur but lost in straight sets, 3-6, 4-6.
Down 3-0, Tran gave the Cougars hope at the No. 2 singles spot. She kept it close in the first set against Flores but fell, 5-7. Tran battled in the second set but eventually lost that set, 4-6.
The Cougars (12-8) close out an impressive 2013-14 campaign with a second-place finish in the WCC and a perfect 8-0 record at home.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last year and...
- The state of Utah's all-time NFL undrafted...
- Samuel Benson: Whatever happened to the...
- Morning links: Snow College 4-star OL...
- Rock On: One more incentive to attend BYU
- Dillon Robinson's career takes an unexpected,...
- Doug Robinson: What do BYU's low draft...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 102
- Max Hall talks about his arrest last... 69
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 52
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's... 52
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 48
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 43
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 36
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in... 25