WEST JORDAN — A mother and son are facing multiple felony charges after police say they assaulted the son's wife and threatened to kill her and her family.
Margaret Horner, 64, and her son, Andrew Horner, 37, were charged Friday in 3rd District Court with aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; and six counts of domestic violence in the presence of a child, a third-degree felony.
Margaret Horner was also charged with obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, and Andrew Horner received two counts of threat of violence, a class B misdemeanor.
Police say Andrew Horner's wife was in the driveway of Margaret Horner's West Jordan home on April 3 when he dragged her into the house and threw her to the floor. He started choking her until she began to lose consciousness and felt tingling in her extremities. Then he would loose his grip and continue choking her repeatedly, court documents state.
Horner directed his mother to take his wife's cellphone and keys while he held her down. She did so, then held the woman's legs while Horner continued to strangle her, according to charges.
Horner later told his wife to sit on the couch in the front room and stated that he needed to kill her to prevent her from notifying police, court documents state. She was detained in the home for two hours before trying to flee out the front door. Horner caught her and again threw her to the floor, police said.
After Horner threatened to kill his wife and her family, court documents say Margaret Horner told her, "And if he doesn't kill you, I will."
Six children were in the home during the ordeal, and Horner told two of the children that if they told anybody, it would be "the last mistake (they) ever make," charges state.
Court documents did not indicate what prompted the altercation.
Arrest warrants were served for Margaret and Andrew Horner, each with $75,000 bail.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 79
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 44
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 20
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11