ESPN report says BYU point guard Matt Carlino transferring to Marquette
Dave Martin, AP
Two days before BYU faced Oregon in the NCAA tournament in March, the Cougars practiced at Marquette's basketball facility in Milwaukee.
Asked about that experience the following day, Carlino said he felt right at home there because his mom grew up in Milwaukee and his uncle, Brian Brunkhorst, starred at Marquette in the 1960s.
“I’ve been here quite a bit,” Carlino said that day. “My uncle’s name is on the front of the Al McGuire Center at Marquette where we practiced. His name’s on the wall.”
The Cougars fell to Oregon in the tournament at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, ending their season. As it turned out, it was Carlino's final game in a BYU uniform.
Who would have guessed then that Carlino would continue his collegiate career in Milwaukee?
BYU coach Dave Rose announced April 1 that Carlino had decided to transfer. On Friday, ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman reported via Twitter that Carlino's destination for his final season of eligibility will be at Marquette under first-year coach Steve Wojciechowski.
Carlino is scheduled to graduate from BYU in June with a bachelor's degree in recreation management and youth leadership.
Carlino was benched in January after his inconsistent play. While coming off the bench, Carlino became more consistent and finished the season averaging 13.7 points and 4.3 assists per game.
During his three seasons in Provo, Carlino ranked among the top 10 in school history in three categories. He is No. 6 in steals (161), No. 6 in 3-pointers (157) and No. 7 in assists (427). Carlino also ranks No. 27 all time in points scored (1,201) at BYU.
Marquette posted a 17-15 record last season, and Carlino is expected to fill an immediate need for the Golden Eagles.
"First of all, Marquette currently has three available scholarships for this fall, and Coach Wojciechowski needs to fill at least two of them, and ideally all three of them, as MU will be without the services of Luke Fischer until mid-December," according to an article in Anonymous Eagle, a Marquette fan site. "Getting a player of Carlino's caliber would definitely take a bit of pressure off of whoever else Wojo brings in, plus it buys the coaching staff some time. Carlino would only be at Marquette for one year, allowing them to focus on recruiting someone to take his spot in the fall of 2015."
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 49
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 41
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 25
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13