Scott G Winterton, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — General commencement ceremonies at the University of Utah will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the Jon M. Huntsman Center.
Scheduling the event in the evening continues a tradition begun in 2013 to make the ceremonies more readily accessible to students and their families. Commencement is free and open to the public; no tickets are required.
U. President David W. Pershing will officiate at the commencement. The featured speaker is Alex Smith, University of Utah graduate, philanthropist and quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs.
The student speaker is Janine Henry, who is graduating with a bachelor's degree in strategic communication and a minor in writing. Henry's speech is titled "For the Small Things."
The Social & Behavioral Science graduate students' convocation is at 10 a.m. Thursday in Kingsbury Hall.
On Friday, convocations scheduled are: Architecture + Planning: 3 p.m., Olpin Union Ballroom; David Eccles School of Business: 4:30 p.m., Jon M. Huntsman Center; Education: 6 p.m., Kingsbury Hall; Engineering: 7 p.m., Huntsman Center; Fine Arts: 1 p.m., Kingsbury Hall; Health: 11:30 a.m., Huntsman Center; Humanities: 2 p.m., Huntsman Center; Mines and Earth Sciences: noon, Olpin Union Ballroom; Nursing: 8 a.m, Kingsbury Hall; Pharmacy: 9 a.m., Olpin Union Ballroom; Science: 3:30 p.m., Kingsbury Hall; Social and Behavioral Science undergraduates: 9 a.m., Huntsman Center; and Social Work: 10:30 a.m., Kingsbury Hall.
Convocations will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, May 9, for the S.J. Quinney College of Law at Kingsbury Hall, and 10 a.m. Saturday, May 24, for the School of Medicine at Kingsbury Hall.
Campus parking lots may be used at no charge during commencement and convocation. Visitors are encouraged to use the free U. shuttle service to travel between commencement events. Shuttles run throughout campus and are scheduled every 10 minutes. The campus is a TRAX free-fare zone on May 1-2.
Those unable to attend commencement will be able to watch the live stream on the university's website at www.utah.edu or watch the rebroadcast on KUED Ch. 7 at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, May 3.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14