Yankees and Red Sox fans dominate Utah, according to New York Times data
Tom Giratikanon, Josh Katz, David Leonhardt and Kevin Quealy, New York Times
Salt Lake and Utah counties might be divided by one major in-state rivalry, but according to the New York Times, the counties are also divided by another major sports rivalry.
Tom Giratikanon, Josh Katz, David Leonhardt and Kevin Quealy of the New York Times compiled an interactive map of the most popular baseball teams per county and the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox dominated Utah.
In Salt Lake County, there were more Yankees fans, while more Red Sox fans resided in Utah County. The numbers were calculated using Facebook likes in each county.
“The maps were created using estimates of team support based on how many Facebook users ‘liked’ each team in a ZIP code,” the four writers said in their article, Up Close on Baseball’s Borders. “We applied an algorithm to smooth the data and fill in gaps where data was missing.”
The Red Sox and Yankees were also among the top three favorite teams among all 29 counties in the state, but never garnered more than 20 percent of any county. According to the data, the Colorado Rockies controlled eastern Utah — 40 percent of Grand County and 30 percent of Uintah County favored the Rockies.
The Angels, Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks and Braves also appeared frequently in the data.
To view more of the interactive data throughout the country, check out the link here.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 63
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 43
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30