Dezember Photography, from SVU website
Former BYU graduate assistant coach Jason Walker has been promoted to head coach of the Southern Virginia University football team, according to a press release by SVU.
The announcement came shortly after coach Tyler Hughes left SVU to accept the head coaching position at Minot State University, a Division II school. Walker joined the staff on March 20 as the defensive coordinator, and quickly filled the need at head coach.
"We are thrilled to have Coach Walker leading our football program," said SVU President Paul K. Sybrowsky in a press release. "During his time here, Jason has proven himself a great defensive mind and an exceptional leader. He is committed to the university and our goal to build an elite NCAA Division III football program dedicated to high academic standards and our LDS values."
Walker spent the last four seasons at BYU as a defensive graduate assistant under Bronco Mendenhall. Mendenhall was complimentary of Walker.
"Jason Walker is a diligent worker, a quick study and passionate about football and building young men," Mendenhall said in a press release. "I believe this is a great choice by Southern Virginia as it seeks to expand and improve its reputation through football."
Walker played two seasons of football at Snow College before finishing up his career at Utah State. He is currently working on a master’s degree in public administration.
Follow Trent Christiansen on Twitter @TheRealTrento.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 99
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 63
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 21
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 15
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8