SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah announced the winners of the fourth annual Distinguished Innovation and Impact Award, which recognizes faculty who create products and initiatives with potential to make an impact and improve lives.
The winners are Glenn D. Prestwich, a presidential professor of medicinal chemistry, and V. Kim Martinez, a professor of drawing and painting. Both will be honored at commencement on May 1.
"These faculty members and their successes demonstrate the culture of innovation at the University of Utah," said Tom Parks, vice president for research at the U.
Prestwich is a chemist, inventor, entrepreneur and the founder of the U.'s Entrepreneurial Faculty Scholars program, which mentors academic entrepreneurs.
He is a faculty entrepreneur who has 65 patents or patent applications in areas including pest control, mercury sensing, drug discovery, regenerative medicine and anti-inflammatory therapies. He co-founded eight companies and three are actively selling products: Echelon Biosciences for drug discovery, Glycosan/BioTime for clinical biomaterials for cell therapy, and Sentrx Animal Care for veterinary wound care.
Martinez is an artist, professor, mentor and art advocate. She is known for the mural course she started in 2003 at the U. Through the course, she matches students with community groups to discuss, plan and create murals across Salt Lake City. Partner organizations have included Salt Lake County, the City of South Salt Lake, the State of Utah and Primary Children's Medical Center.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Utah artisan's handmade guitars gaining...
- Huntsville man with unreported history of...
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight with...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 58
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 36
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 16