Atlanta boy stops kidnapper by singing a gospel song
WXIA-TV, Associated Press
Police suspect a gospel song kept a then-9-year-old boy alive when a man kidnapped him earlier this April.
Willie Myrick, now 10, was in his front yard in Atlanta when a man grabbed him and threw him in his car, Fox News reports.
"He told me he didn't want to hear a word from me, so I didn't say nothing," Willie said on The Kelly File from Fox News.
But the man's use of expletives and telling Willie to "shut up" didn't keep the boy from singing a song written by Grammy Award winner Hezekiah Walker.
"He just kept 'praising God' with Walker's 'Every Praise,' a song he learned in Sunday school," the Christian Post reports.
After three hours of driving, the man let Willie out in East Point, Georgia, a town outside of Atlanta.
"It really has become the song heard round the world and police say it very well may have saved the life of 10-year-old Willie Myrick," Trace Gallagher said on The Kelly Report.
After the man let Willie out of his car, the boy ran to a nearby home and asked to call his mother. Willie was then able to return home to safety.
Since the ordeal, Mt. Carmel Baptist Church held a meeting Thursday, April 10, in Willie's honor with special guest Hezekiah Walker.
Willie and Walker were emotional during the evening while singing together.
"I really believe that God spoke through me to save that young man's life," the Christian Post reports.
Police are still searching for the man who kidnapped Willie, and hope a police sketch will help their search.
Alison Moore is a writer for the Faith and Family sections at DeseretNews.com. She is studying journalism and editing at Brigham Young University.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @alison_kathleen
- Story of LDS man who forgave drunk driver for...
- Jentrie's Journey: Mormon mom of 3 battles...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- LDS missionaries reunite man with his lost...
- Woman discusses pornography addiction in new...
- Senate panel endorses anti-discrimination,...
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning home...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- Why I make my kids go to church 56
- Defending the Faith: Exploring... 51
- Netanyahu speech deepens rift between... 29
- Dog reacts to LDS missionary returning... 15
- K2 The Church's grand opening a... 12
- Senate panel endorses... 9
- Elder Holland discusses religious... 8
- Woman discusses pornography addiction... 8