BYU volleyball: Taylor Sander named as an All-American for the third time
Matt Gade, Deseret News
The American Volleyball Coaches Association named BYU outside hitter Taylor Sander to the All-America First Team on Thursday, the senior’s third career first-team honor and fourth All-America honor.
Sander, who was also named Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Player of the Year for the second time, led the No. 4 Cougars to their second-straight league title. BYU shared the honor with Pepperdine, finishing 18-6 in conference play.
The 6-foot-4 product of Huntington Beach, Calif., is No. 2 in the nation for kills per set with 4.53, hitting .331. This season he broke the BYU rally-scoring era record for career kills (1,685) and the BYU record for service aces in a match (nine). He is second in the rally-scoring era for career attempts (3,343), and season service aces (48). He needs only four more aces this season to break the season service aces record.
Thursday night, Sander and the Cougars take on UC Santa Barbara in the MPSF tournament semifinals, looking to defend their 2013 league tournament title. The match will be broadcast live from the Smith Fieldhouse on BYUtv at 8 p.m. MDT.
The MPSF had 14 All-America citations this season, with seven first-teamers and seven second-teamers. BYU’s semifinal opponent UC Santa Barbara had one second-team All-American in sophomore setter Jonah Seif.
Rachel Hawks is the men's volleyball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20