Vernal man charged with making false sexual assault claim
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
VERNAL — A man is facing three misdemeanor charges after police say they determined that he lied about being sexually assaulted.
Jose Orpinela, 40, is charged in 8th District Court with making a false statement, a class A misdemeanor, and two counts of providing false information to police, a class B misdemeanor.
On March 18, Orpinela told officers he was accosted by two men in an alley near the intersection of Main Street and Vernal Avenue after leaving work at a downtown business, according to Vernal Police Lt. Keith Campbell.
Orpinela said both attackers sexually assaulted him while threatening him with a weapon, the initial police report states. Detectives collected video from surveillance cameras in the area and also conducted a number of interviews, including multiple interviews with Orpinela.
It was during those follow-up interviews that his story fell apart, according to police.
"There was no assault," Campbell said Thursday. "It did not happen, period."
The lieutenant declined to speculate about what might cause Orpinela to make a false report.
"I'm sure he had some kind of motive," Campbell said. "Only he knows what that was."
Orpinela is due in court May 27.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Marc Jenson's testimony in fraud case...
- Redford, Nolte, Offerman highlight Sundance...
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine during...
- Helping students 'climb the mountain' of...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Town once run by polygamist leader Warren...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Utah's congressional delegation... 71
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Romney says climate change presents a... 34
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 17