Vernal man charged with making false sexual assault claim
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
VERNAL — A man is facing three misdemeanor charges after police say they determined that he lied about being sexually assaulted.
Jose Orpinela, 40, is charged in 8th District Court with making a false statement, a class A misdemeanor, and two counts of providing false information to police, a class B misdemeanor.
On March 18, Orpinela told officers he was accosted by two men in an alley near the intersection of Main Street and Vernal Avenue after leaving work at a downtown business, according to Vernal Police Lt. Keith Campbell.
Orpinela said both attackers sexually assaulted him while threatening him with a weapon, the initial police report states. Detectives collected video from surveillance cameras in the area and also conducted a number of interviews, including multiple interviews with Orpinela.
It was during those follow-up interviews that his story fell apart, according to police.
"There was no assault," Campbell said Thursday. "It did not happen, period."
The lieutenant declined to speculate about what might cause Orpinela to make a false report.
"I'm sure he had some kind of motive," Campbell said. "Only he knows what that was."
Orpinela is due in court May 27.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 59
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 42
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 42
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 16
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 16