Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Mayor David Alvord announced Wednesday that city officials have once again begun discussions with the Hale Center Theatre, which is considering expanding to what is now Mulligans Golf and Games.
South Jordan has owned the 60-acre property at 692 W. 10600 South for the past 10 years, Alvord said. During that time, city officials have looked at whether continued use of the golf course, high-density housing, commercial office buildings or the Hale Center Theatre would be the best use for the space.
Though a decision has not been reached, Alvord said he hopes the Hale Center Theatre will build its new home on the lot. The theater is currently located in West Valley City.
"As a mayor, Hale Center Theatre is one of those opportunities you jump on when it comes along," he said. "It's a cultural gathering place. It's a place where families can get together for uplifting entertainment, and it's an anchor for other recreation development around it. One of my jobs will be to do my best to persuade them that South Jordan is the best city for their home."
The mayor said he expects Mulligans Golf and Games to remain open throughout the 2014 season, though it will require further investment if it is to remain open beyond this year.
The South Jordan City Council is currently accepting public comment on potentials uses for the the property. A decision isn't expected until May at the soonest.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex harassment...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Worth 1,000 words: Here's a look at the top...
- 'Princess' power: BYU to present stage...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- Police arrest 4 suspected in 33 'pillowcase...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Torn between two countries, family of missing...
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 17
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15
- Police: Toddler accidentally shot in... 13
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 13