Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SOUTH JORDAN — Mayor David Alvord announced Wednesday that city officials have once again begun discussions with the Hale Center Theatre, which is considering expanding to what is now Mulligans Golf and Games.
South Jordan has owned the 60-acre property at 692 W. 10600 South for the past 10 years, Alvord said. During that time, city officials have looked at whether continued use of the golf course, high-density housing, commercial office buildings or the Hale Center Theatre would be the best use for the space.
Though a decision has not been reached, Alvord said he hopes the Hale Center Theatre will build its new home on the lot. The theater is currently located in West Valley City.
"As a mayor, Hale Center Theatre is one of those opportunities you jump on when it comes along," he said. "It's a cultural gathering place. It's a place where families can get together for uplifting entertainment, and it's an anchor for other recreation development around it. One of my jobs will be to do my best to persuade them that South Jordan is the best city for their home."
The mayor said he expects Mulligans Golf and Games to remain open throughout the 2014 season, though it will require further investment if it is to remain open beyond this year.
The South Jordan City Council is currently accepting public comment on potentials uses for the the property. A decision isn't expected until May at the soonest.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14