'Bachelorette' contestant, BYU graduate dies in paragliding accident
Go with Eric, The Global Odyssey Facebook page
Eric Hill, a 32-year-old BYU graduate and Salt Lake City resident, died Wednesday as a result of injuries sustained in a paragliding accident on Easter Sunday, according to WetPaint.com.
Hill was paragliding with friends near the Point of the Mountain in Draper when his parachute collapsed, according to KSL.com. A medical helicopter transported Hill to the University of Utah hospital in critical condition.
Hill's sister, Karen Tracy, broke the news of his death on Facebook Wednesday morning, and WetPaint.com, a fansite for news related to "The Bachelor," shared the update with its followers who were looking forward to seeing Hill participate in the upcoming season of "The Bachelorette," which is set to air May 19.
Hill was one of several men vying for bachelorette Andi Dorfman's heart. He had the first one-on-one date, according to WetPaint.com, but left the show before the hometown dates, in which the final four contestants participate. He was not filming for the show at the time of accident.
"The Bachelor" producers issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon, according to HollywoodReporter.com:
“We are deeply saddened to hear about the tragic passing of our friend, Eric Hill. Eric inspired us every day with his passion, his courage and his adventurous spirit, and for that we are very thankful. On behalf of our cast, crew and producers, we send our love, our thoughts and our prayers to Eric’s family during this difficult time,” the statement read.
The show's host, Chris Harrison, shared his condolences on Twitter and others joined in.
On behalf of all of us at The Bachelor our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Eric Hill. He will be missed— Chris Harrison (@chrisbharrison) April 23, 2014
Hill had a goal to visit all 194 United Nations-recognized countries. Learn more about his project on his Facebook page, GO with Eric, The Global Odyssey.
Hill's friends created a YouCaring.com account to honor him and raise money for his family.
Emily Eyring is the Faith and Family Web producer for DeseretNews.com.
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom dance to...
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the fun out...
- This is what you look like to a newborn baby
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: From 'America's Got...
- UTubers: Lindsey Stirling posts video of...
- BYU's Vocal Point hopes to 'uplift and...
- The U.S. women’s national soccer team...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 85
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the... 42
- Behind the rapid shift in public... 26
- LDS musician Alex Boyé thrills... 5
- This is what you look like to a newborn... 2
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of... 2
- Schwarzenegger and Co. play the... 1
- 'Terminator Genisys': 3 points for parents 1