Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was accidentally shot by sister
COLLEGE WARD, Cache County — A fundraiser has been set up to help the family of a 2-year-old boy who was accidentally shot and killed last weekend by his 3-year-old sister.
On Friday, a 3-year-old girl got a hold of a .22-caliber rifle that had been used earlier in the day and left in the living room of her home near 3600 West and 2200 South in the College Ward area, investigators said.
"The gun was in an unloaded state but did have live rounds in the magazine," the Cache County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. "We believe the 3-year-old had to manipulate the action enough to chamber a live round."
Stockton Huot was accidentally shot in the stomach. He was rushed to a local hospital and later Primary Children's Hospital, but he eventually succumbed to his injuries.
On Monday, an online fundraising effort was started for the Huot family at www.gofundme.com/8izwxc.
"The Huot family lost their little Stockton in a tragic firearm accident. The family needs as much help as we can give them!!!!" the message on the website states. The organizers hope to raise $5,000 for the family.
The Huots' next door neighbor, Jake Olsen, started the fundraising campaign.
"It's such a tragedy in our area. Our area is super close. Mostly it's family members," he said. "Everyone is so close we want to make sure they're taken care of."
Olsen said the boy's father has taken the tragedy exceptionally hard.
"I have a 1-year-old daughter and I can't imagine what he's going through," Olsen said Tuesday.
But the community wanted to rally around the family to show its support and help offset some of their funeral expenses, he said.
More than $2,200 had been raised by Tuesday evening.
"People are like, 'How much do you want us to donate?' I've had a toddler walk up and give me a quarter," Olsen said. "It's something that's going to go to help that family."
While police believe the shooting was accidental, an investigation continued Tuesday and a case will likely be turned over to the Cache County Attorney's Office to determine whether any charges are warranted.
A funeral for Stockton is expected to be held this week.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Sharing stories is how to best leave a...
- Feds arrest 82 undocumented immigrants with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 51
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Biskupski's pick to lead public... 13