While it isn't necessary to begin getting up at 6 o'clock and following a missionary’s morning routine, sleeping until noon will be a tough habit to turn around when you suit up. Begin now to get up early, work out, go for a walk, read your scriptures and pray before heading to work, class or wherever your day needs you.
You willingly accept that your entertainment options are about to be narrowed from “U2” to “MOTAB” and from “Top Gun” to “Families Are Forever.” You’re going to spend too much time and money cramming in every movie or Super Nintendo video game between now and the Wednesday you say goodbye.
Remember that a good movie, concert or other wholesome diversion is a wonderful way to decompress, but use your preparation time to step away from the world and toward divinity. Memorize the 13th Article of Faith, or all of them for that matter, and gain a testimony of what moderation in all things might mean to a soon-to-be missionary.
Do enjoy your family.
Do enjoy your friends.
But don’t forget that you’ve grown a foot or two, and the Lord is waiting for you.
Send the message that you're prepared to land in the field, ready to hasten the work and ready for the promised harvest.
There will be tough days ahead, Jason. But the work you’re doing now to prepare will enable you to better call upon the Spirit and to weather the storms.
Younger Jason, please know I love you, even on the days you don’t shave.
And remember, God loves you, too.
It’s true — trust me.
Jason Wright is a New York Times bestselling author of 10 books, including "Christmas Jars" and "The Wednesday Letters." Learn more at jasonfwright.com, or connect on Facebook at facebook.com/jfwbooks or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 171
- Why I don’t call myself a... 94
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 64
- General Women's Session focuses on... 29
- State bills to protect religious... 21
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 13
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8