SALT LAKE CITY — With a boost from the high-profile ad slot at the top of Web giant YouTube's home page, the Easter video at the heart of the LDS Church's Holy Week social media initiative drew roughly 2 million new views over the weekend.
Most of the new traffic arrived on Sunday — Easter — by design.
The media campaign launched April 13 — Palm Sunday — used email, Twitter and Facebook to distribute banner ads and daily memes — "The world is filled with second chances," "The grave has no victory" — and the video to illustrate the belief of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Easter and in Christ as the Son of God.
“Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ rising from the dead on the third day — a truth not only at the core of our faith, but also at the heart of answers to the deepest questions of the soul,” said Greg Droubay, director of Mormon.org, in a statement released last week. “We’ve launched this Christ-focused initiative because we want to be a resource for those seeking second chances or wondering about death after losing a loved one.”
On Easter Sunday, the church promoted the video on YouTube's home page, both in English and Spanish. YouTube's home page draws more than 100 million visitor's per day.
Here's what the ad looked like on Sunday. Clicking on the ad brought up a condensed, 30-second version of the three-minute "Because of Him" video that pointed to the longer version and to a website, Mormon.org/BecauseofHim.
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady hand to...
- California governor denies parole for Manson...
- 3 key takeaways from the latest report on...
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Will this key line in Melania Trump's GOP...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the 'most...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 48
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 26
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 24
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Self-assured, Kaine brings a steady... 16
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- GOP platform: Plenty for evangelicals... 12