Harrington objected to the categorization that school board members are friendly to federal intrusion.
She said the state receives federal funding in a number of areas, such as transportation, and to criticize educators for accepting federal dollars suggests a misunderstanding of the economic realities facing Utah's schools.
"The federal government is not our enemy," Harrington said. "They are our partner, and like all good partners, we have to respect one another’s authority and jurisdiction. To the degree that the federal government steps on the state’s toes, I’m one of those that supports state’s rights enormously."
But Norton reiterated that partnership with the federal government leads to a loss of state sovereignty. He said one reason it was important to require candidates to be vetted by convention delegates was to "eliminate people with weak principles" who might compromise on community values.
"What the board members and the State Office (of Education) don’t understand or don’t seem to understand is that every federal dollar we get comes with strings that override local control," he said.
Harrington said the Utah School Boards Association has encouraging its members to contact delegates and urge their opposition toward the resolution. A spokesman for the Utah Education Association also said the organization remains opposed to making school board elections partisan.
"The nature of politics is such that it tends to introduce contention," Harrington said. "We don’t need that on our schools. We need teachers free from worry of whether they are party affiliates and whether they support the board in that respect."
- Video: Utah man uses 'random acts of pasta'...
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law requiring body...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 36
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 27
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 24
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 23