Utah native Seth Wold led the Boston Marathon for short time
Photo courtesy Seth Wold
Utah native Seth Wold led the pack at the Boston Marathon on Monday. Well, at least for a short while.
The 30-year-old from Lehi managed to find his way to the front of the race with winner Meb Keflezighi. Wold ultimately finished with an offical time of 02:49:43, good enough for No. 927 out of more than 30,000 racers.
"It was pretty exciting to pace the first American to win the Boston marathon in more than 30 years," Wold said with a laugh.
"I cruised to the lead and paced with the eventual winner, Meb. It was great to get in a solid workout with the best runners in the world. I slowed down to my long run pace after the 2.5 mile mark and loved seeing the top guys speed away. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my running life."
What's more amazing is that Wold injured himself playing soccer just nine days before the Boston Marathon.
Wold has run in many long-distance running events over the years. He competed at Lone Peak High School before running for the University of Utah. His personal best in a marathon is 2:22:51 at the 2009 Ogden Marathon, and he won the Pony Express 50-mile race in 2011 with a time of 7:17:44.
Lafe Peavler is a staff sports writer for the Deseret News. Follow him on Twitter @LafePeavler.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Hillcrest Huskies 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16