Balancing act: List of top work-from-home jobs shows growth in offerings
The information from FlexJobs also indicated that health care is the top category for work-from-home jobs, and that makes sense to me. That's my industry now, and while the company I work for offers primarily on-site jobs, I know of others that have several remote-work opportunities.
The release from FlexJobs went on to point out that, according to Global Workplace Analytics, telecommuting grew about 80 percent between 2005 and 2012. There's no way that's because of writers!
"There has been 122 percent growth for state government, 87 percent growth for not-for-profit, 70 percent growth in for-profit and 62 percent for local government," the FlexJobs release said. "The federal sector has also grown, but the growth shown of 421 percent includes a large amount of telecommuting that happened in 2005-2006 surrounding Hurricane Katrina."
I'm sure those numbers have continued to increase in 2014. No matter the industry, it seems that remote work arrangements are becoming more acceptable and more integrated into corporate plans for growth and development.
I appreciate every additional piece of evidence that shows this is the case. As more companies look for ways to promote remote work opportunities, I believe they will find that allowing people to work from home where that's practical will help both the business and its workers.
I'm certainly grateful for the flexibility of my work, both when I'm actually at home and when I'm on the road trying to keep up with all that's happening back at the office.
That said, I'm glad to be back in a more regular routine, with my weeks of traveling behind me. Working from home is one thing, but living out of a suitcase is something else entirely.
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- How much America wants to be taxed
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- How much America wants to be taxed 6
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4