Balancing act: List of top work-from-home jobs shows growth in offerings
The information from FlexJobs also indicated that health care is the top category for work-from-home jobs, and that makes sense to me. That's my industry now, and while the company I work for offers primarily on-site jobs, I know of others that have several remote-work opportunities.
The release from FlexJobs went on to point out that, according to Global Workplace Analytics, telecommuting grew about 80 percent between 2005 and 2012. There's no way that's because of writers!
"There has been 122 percent growth for state government, 87 percent growth for not-for-profit, 70 percent growth in for-profit and 62 percent for local government," the FlexJobs release said. "The federal sector has also grown, but the growth shown of 421 percent includes a large amount of telecommuting that happened in 2005-2006 surrounding Hurricane Katrina."
I'm sure those numbers have continued to increase in 2014. No matter the industry, it seems that remote work arrangements are becoming more acceptable and more integrated into corporate plans for growth and development.
I appreciate every additional piece of evidence that shows this is the case. As more companies look for ways to promote remote work opportunities, I believe they will find that allowing people to work from home where that's practical will help both the business and its workers.
I'm certainly grateful for the flexibility of my work, both when I'm actually at home and when I'm on the road trying to keep up with all that's happening back at the office.
That said, I'm glad to be back in a more regular routine, with my weeks of traveling behind me. Working from home is one thing, but living out of a suitcase is something else entirely.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- There's a video for that: How YouTube brings...
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- All families need to have the financial 'talk'
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals may...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 14
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 5
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 3