Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract will not be renewed
"Championship-caliber teams are somewhere inside the top five or six both offensively and defensively," Lindsey reiterated Monday. "I would say this — being a defensive program going forward is very important to who we are and what we want to be. We want to establish that foundation."
Lindsey said the organization didn't regret making a coaching decision last offseason, which would have allowed a new coach to help develop the young core of Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Trey Burke, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks during the rebuilding campaign.
"None whatsoever. None whatsoever," he said. "Kevin, Randy (and I) decided to pick up Ty’s option last year, we’ll stand by that. He’s a good man. He’s a good coach. As you guys know, our team stayed together, stayed together under three-plus years of volatile change. Frankly, Ty gets credit for that."
Lindsey wouldn't delve into whether Corbin had front-office personnel come to his defense, adding that it was "a collective decision" to move on.
Corbin didn't release a statement, but Lindsey said he was "disappointed" but handled the news as well as could be expected and was "first class, completely professional" after being told he'd no longer be employed by the Jazz since working in Utah for a decade.
"He wished us the best and we wished him the best," Lindsey said. "He’s Jazz fiber through and through. Just want you would think, he’s a gentleman in every way."
He's just no longer the Jazz coach.
A career change that came 20 years earlier than some would have preferred.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A decade...
- High school sports: Nearly 650 athletes...
- Jazz in talks with German center Tibor...
- Utah Jazz bolster coaching staff on first day...
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul Millsap...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 57
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 50
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 21
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 19
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13