Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract will not be renewed
"Championship-caliber teams are somewhere inside the top five or six both offensively and defensively," Lindsey reiterated Monday. "I would say this — being a defensive program going forward is very important to who we are and what we want to be. We want to establish that foundation."
Lindsey said the organization didn't regret making a coaching decision last offseason, which would have allowed a new coach to help develop the young core of Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Trey Burke, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks during the rebuilding campaign.
"None whatsoever. None whatsoever," he said. "Kevin, Randy (and I) decided to pick up Ty’s option last year, we’ll stand by that. He’s a good man. He’s a good coach. As you guys know, our team stayed together, stayed together under three-plus years of volatile change. Frankly, Ty gets credit for that."
Lindsey wouldn't delve into whether Corbin had front-office personnel come to his defense, adding that it was "a collective decision" to move on.
Corbin didn't release a statement, but Lindsey said he was "disappointed" but handled the news as well as could be expected and was "first class, completely professional" after being told he'd no longer be employed by the Jazz since working in Utah for a decade.
"He wished us the best and we wished him the best," Lindsey said. "He’s Jazz fiber through and through. Just want you would think, he’s a gentleman in every way."
He's just no longer the Jazz coach.
A career change that came 20 years earlier than some would have preferred.
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Championship ring: President calls Cavs coach...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 41
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 35
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19