Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract will not be renewed
"Championship-caliber teams are somewhere inside the top five or six both offensively and defensively," Lindsey reiterated Monday. "I would say this — being a defensive program going forward is very important to who we are and what we want to be. We want to establish that foundation."
Lindsey said the organization didn't regret making a coaching decision last offseason, which would have allowed a new coach to help develop the young core of Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Trey Burke, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks during the rebuilding campaign.
"None whatsoever. None whatsoever," he said. "Kevin, Randy (and I) decided to pick up Ty’s option last year, we’ll stand by that. He’s a good man. He’s a good coach. As you guys know, our team stayed together, stayed together under three-plus years of volatile change. Frankly, Ty gets credit for that."
Lindsey wouldn't delve into whether Corbin had front-office personnel come to his defense, adding that it was "a collective decision" to move on.
Corbin didn't release a statement, but Lindsey said he was "disappointed" but handled the news as well as could be expected and was "first class, completely professional" after being told he'd no longer be employed by the Jazz since working in Utah for a decade.
"He wished us the best and we wished him the best," Lindsey said. "He’s Jazz fiber through and through. Just want you would think, he’s a gentleman in every way."
He's just no longer the Jazz coach.
A career change that came 20 years earlier than some would have preferred.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28