Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract will not be renewed
"Championship-caliber teams are somewhere inside the top five or six both offensively and defensively," Lindsey reiterated Monday. "I would say this — being a defensive program going forward is very important to who we are and what we want to be. We want to establish that foundation."
Lindsey said the organization didn't regret making a coaching decision last offseason, which would have allowed a new coach to help develop the young core of Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, Trey Burke, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks during the rebuilding campaign.
"None whatsoever. None whatsoever," he said. "Kevin, Randy (and I) decided to pick up Ty’s option last year, we’ll stand by that. He’s a good man. He’s a good coach. As you guys know, our team stayed together, stayed together under three-plus years of volatile change. Frankly, Ty gets credit for that."
Lindsey wouldn't delve into whether Corbin had front-office personnel come to his defense, adding that it was "a collective decision" to move on.
Corbin didn't release a statement, but Lindsey said he was "disappointed" but handled the news as well as could be expected and was "first class, completely professional" after being told he'd no longer be employed by the Jazz since working in Utah for a decade.
"He wished us the best and we wished him the best," Lindsey said. "He’s Jazz fiber through and through. Just want you would think, he’s a gentleman in every way."
He's just no longer the Jazz coach.
A career change that came 20 years earlier than some would have preferred.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 62
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 42
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30