Ravell Call, Deseret News
PROVO — A hiker in a remote area of Provo Canyon found the skeletal remains of a person Saturday.
And after Provo police arrived in the area to investigate, they found a second body.
"We believe they are completely unrelated. We've confirmed that the initial body that was found is a 2012 case, a 41-year-old male that went missing," said Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua.
Both sets of remains were found in a rocky, remote area of Squaw Peak, near the bottom of a 1,000 foot cliff, Siufanua said. Investigators, with the assistance of a Department of Public Safety helicopter, were in the process of recovering the bodies on Sunday.
The first discovery was made about 1 p.m. Saturday by a hiker.
"It's not an area that a lot of people go to. He actually came across some skeletal remains that had some clothing on them, a backpack and some other personal items," he said.
That set of remains was believed to be of a man visiting from outside of the country. Authorities were attempting to notify next of kin on Sunday before releasing the man's name.
The second set of remains, which were in a different stage of decomposition, may be tied to a 2006 case, Siufanua said.
Investigators will next try to determine if the victims accidentally fell to their deaths, or if there was any indication of foul play or even suicide.
"We just don't know what happened to these individuals. We have a general idea. But part of the investigative process is to piece together all of the details that they find up on the hill, and talk to parents, and look at the old case," he said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- Woman critically injured in Bountiful...
- Photos: A Pioneer Day celebration of heritage...
- Man falls 70 feet to his death in Provo
- Man shot dead in Midvale; alleged shooter in...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 75
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17