Ravell Call, Deseret News
PROVO — A hiker in a remote area of Provo Canyon found the skeletal remains of a person Saturday.
And after Provo police arrived in the area to investigate, they found a second body.
"We believe they are completely unrelated. We've confirmed that the initial body that was found is a 2012 case, a 41-year-old male that went missing," said Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua.
Both sets of remains were found in a rocky, remote area of Squaw Peak, near the bottom of a 1,000 foot cliff, Siufanua said. Investigators, with the assistance of a Department of Public Safety helicopter, were in the process of recovering the bodies on Sunday.
The first discovery was made about 1 p.m. Saturday by a hiker.
"It's not an area that a lot of people go to. He actually came across some skeletal remains that had some clothing on them, a backpack and some other personal items," he said.
That set of remains was believed to be of a man visiting from outside of the country. Authorities were attempting to notify next of kin on Sunday before releasing the man's name.
The second set of remains, which were in a different stage of decomposition, may be tied to a 2006 case, Siufanua said.
Investigators will next try to determine if the victims accidentally fell to their deaths, or if there was any indication of foul play or even suicide.
"We just don't know what happened to these individuals. We have a general idea. But part of the investigative process is to piece together all of the details that they find up on the hill, and talk to parents, and look at the old case," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- School leaders look for solutions to... 24
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 17
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12