Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of questions heading into offseason
“You don’t want to win just 25 games every year,” Favors added. “Obviously, you want to go in and improve as a player so you can come back and help the team win more games than that and hopefully get into the playoffs.”
Asked multiple times, Lindsey refused to take the bait on any triumphant-return timelines.
“I’m very confident in our group, the character of our group, the ability to move forward, whether it be with internal improvement or using our salary cap or using our draft picks,” Lindsey said. “I expect us to be better next year. Between picks and flexibility and a good, young talent base, we’re well positioned to move forward.”
That process — one in which the Jazz promise to not skip steps — could take awhile. The playoffs could be years away. Fans might have to endure another losing season or two.
But the main goal remains the same.
The Millers have craved winning a championship in Utah since the late Larry H. Miller made that vision seem like a possibility during his victory-rich ownership days. Now it’s Lindsey’s job to move the team back into a position where lofty dreams become achievable realities.
“We have a real opportunity to get it right for the Utah Jazz,” Lindsey said. “We’ll just continuously try to do the right thing from a development standpoint, from a procurement standpoint, to be very aggressive in the draft.”
So, NBA Finals by 2015, maybe 2016 at latest?
Lindsey smiled when those types of questions were jokingly asked.
“The only thing that we know to do is keeping true to the idea and the discipline that we get in place,” he said. “Then, I think if we put enough good days together we’ll eventually have a very consistent (team) and hopefully a championship contender like they had with John (Stockton) and Karl (Malone) here.”
That, of course, will take quite a few leaps forward, especially after all of this backtracking.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35