Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of questions heading into offseason
“You don’t want to win just 25 games every year,” Favors added. “Obviously, you want to go in and improve as a player so you can come back and help the team win more games than that and hopefully get into the playoffs.”
Asked multiple times, Lindsey refused to take the bait on any triumphant-return timelines.
“I’m very confident in our group, the character of our group, the ability to move forward, whether it be with internal improvement or using our salary cap or using our draft picks,” Lindsey said. “I expect us to be better next year. Between picks and flexibility and a good, young talent base, we’re well positioned to move forward.”
That process — one in which the Jazz promise to not skip steps — could take awhile. The playoffs could be years away. Fans might have to endure another losing season or two.
But the main goal remains the same.
The Millers have craved winning a championship in Utah since the late Larry H. Miller made that vision seem like a possibility during his victory-rich ownership days. Now it’s Lindsey’s job to move the team back into a position where lofty dreams become achievable realities.
“We have a real opportunity to get it right for the Utah Jazz,” Lindsey said. “We’ll just continuously try to do the right thing from a development standpoint, from a procurement standpoint, to be very aggressive in the draft.”
So, NBA Finals by 2015, maybe 2016 at latest?
Lindsey smiled when those types of questions were jokingly asked.
“The only thing that we know to do is keeping true to the idea and the discipline that we get in place,” he said. “Then, I think if we put enough good days together we’ll eventually have a very consistent (team) and hopefully a championship contender like they had with John (Stockton) and Karl (Malone) here.”
That, of course, will take quite a few leaps forward, especially after all of this backtracking.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 33
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28