Lynn Stoddard (“Eliminating the root cause of bullying,” April 18) suggests that by eliminating the focus on English and math, which are the mothers of success in becoming employed, self-reliant citizens, we can automatically eliminate bullying.
Bullying is a self-perpetuated attitude; not a guiltless disease of self-perceived victims. Bullies come in all colors, shapes, sizes and nerdiness. Student attitudes toward each other cannot be manipulated by changing school curriculums or school administrators. Attitudes are germinated and nurtured in our homes, where teaching can be controlled best by parents.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Utah's election is clear as mud
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter moment:...
- A. Scott Anderson: Sen. Bennett: Selfless...
- Michael Gerson: Conservatives' deal with the...
- Dan Liljenquist: Collective neurosis in...
- In our opinion: Not all economic inequality...
- My view: A de-sexed society is a de-humanized...
- Letter: Luxury homes in mountains
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 73
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 48
- Orrin Hatch: My meeting with Supreme... 45
- In our opinion: Not all economic... 20
- Letter: Trump's delegate count 20
- My view: Character still matters in... 16
- Letter: Luxury homes in mountains 11
- My view: The one thing that could solve... 11