Chicago man stabbed to death, police arrest suspect in 'senseless murder'
SALT LAKE CITY — A 33-year-old Chicago man died early Saturday after he was stabbed multiple times during an argument with another man.
Joaquin Gonzalez and a female companion had returned to their car at 515 W. 100 South following a movie around 1:20 a.m., according to Sgt. Robin Heiden. Soon after, they were "approached in an aggressive manner" by a man who stabbed Gonzalez in an ensuing altercation.
According to a Salt Lake County Jail booking report, Harlin Argelio Ramos, 30, approached the couple while they were in the car and opened the passenger door, which "startled" Gonzalez. The man then exited the vehicle, leading to a fight.
Heiden said the woman, whose name was not released, tried to intervene, but was unsuccessful. Gonzalez died at the scene from his wounds.
The female was uninjured.
"We have no idea what the motive was in this case," Heiden said. "They didn't even know this guy — it was random."
Though they initially had very little suspect information, police were able to arrest Ramos Saturday around 5 p.m. Ramos was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder, Heiden said.
Ramos was located at the Overniter Inn at 1500 W. North Temple, the jail report states. Once in custody, the man apparently told police that Gonzalez struck him the face and that he took out a folding knife and stabbed the man "several times in the chest area."
It is believed Ramos is the only suspect in the case. Police said a second man who was with Ramos is not considered a suspect or person of interest in the case.
"This was a senseless crime, it was a senseless murder," Heiden said. "It didn't appear that Gonzalez was doing anything wrong, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."
— Emiley Morgan
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16