UVU track: Wolverines excel at Mt. SAC and Azusa Pacific on Friday
A day removed from Michael McPherson setting a school record in the decathlon, the Utah Valley University track and field teams continued their busy weekend in Southern California by competing at the 56th annual Mt. SAC Relays and Azusa Pacific's Bryan Clay Invitational on Friday.
The tandem of Caity Beddes, Maddie Riggs, Shaelee Sweatfield, Celeste Gutzman and Mackenzie Snyder led the way for the women's team at the Mt. SAC Relays on the day as they had a strong showing in the 1500-meter run. Beddes paced the group with a fifth-place finish in her section with a time of 4:47.67. Riggs was right behind her at 4:48.38, while Sweatfield posted a 4:50.94, Gutzman a 4:54.21 and Snyder a 4:57.12.
The duo of Ali Shields and Jessica Lingwall also had a solid showing the 100m hurdles, as Shields took second in her section with a time of 14.44 and Lingwall placed fourth in hers (14.98). In other action at Mt. SAC, Sam Sweet led the way for UVU in the women's 400m dash by taking seventh (57.90), while Samantha Reeves was the Wolverines' top finisher in the 100m (12.43) as was Aisha Graham in the 800 (2:13.19).
Over at the Bryan Clay Invite at APU, the reigning WAC Track Athlete of the Week Kyler Sprague led the way with a seventh-place finish in the 400m hurdles (54.26). In the 110m hurdles, Jacob Peterson posted a 12th-place outing with a time of 14.96 seconds, while Gately Garnett led the women in 100m hurdles by taking 21st (15.24).
In the field events at Azusa Pacific, Mindy Stapel had a stellar outing in the women's high jump as she tied for ninth place (1.58m), while Ty Rosser led the men by clearing 1.87m to earn 15th in the event.
In the men's pole vault, Marcus Pratt tied for 17th and Levi Ball tied for 22nd with respective heights of 4.54m and 4.39m. Bennie Foster led way for the women in the same event by clearing 3.30m to earn a 23rd-place finish. Throwers Kyle Routsong and McKay Burnett paced the men in the discus and shot put by taking 20th and 22nd, respectively, with a tosses of 42.24m and 14.16m.
Autumn Robertson also led the Wolverine women in the triple jump at Azusa Pacific with a leap of 10.77m to take 23rd in the event.
The Wolverines conclude their weekend on Saturday. UVU takes part at the final day of the Mt. SAC Relays as well as Long Beach State's Beach Invitational that takes place at Cerritos College. A few Wolverines will also participate at Utah State's Mark Faldmo Invitational on Saturday in Logan, Utah.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Utah basketball: No. 14 Runnin' Utes... 18