BYU tennis: Anderson-Littlewood clinches, Jones and Miclat lead Cougars over Zags
Impressive performances of Mayci Jones, Toby Miclat and Morgan Anderson-Littlewood proved to be enough as No. 57 BYU women’s tennis clinched a 4-3 victory for the fourth consecutive West Coast Conference win in a match against Gonzaga on Friday.
“We played great doubles today which was a nice improvement from yesterday,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We played some good singles today up until the clinch — great job to Mayci, Toby and Morgan for playing solid.”
The Cougars (12-7, 8-1 WCC ) swept the doubles point, giving them a head start against Gonzaga (8-9), which dropped to 3-5 WCC.
The freshmen Jones and Miclat cruised at No. 1 doubles over Kylie Peek and Samantha Polayes to the tune of 8-3. Freshman Savannah Ware and sophomore Nicolette Tran secured the point as they were too much for their opponents at the third slot. Juniors Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Littlewood also edged their opponents in a narrow 8-7(10-8) win.
After taking the doubles, BYU jumped out to take three of the next four points, clinching the win.
Miclat was first off the court as she dominated Franziska Koehler, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 4 singles. Jones followed at first singles with a similar result, overpowering Kylie Peek, 6-0, 6-3.
Sheehan-Dizon then fell at No. 3 to Polayes, 6-3, 6-0, bringing the score to 3-1 in favor of the Cougars.
For the second match in a row, Littlewood seized the opportunity to clinch the win for BYU. The junior topped Isabell Klingert in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5.
Gonzaga then took the final two matches at No. 2 and No. 5.
Next, the Cougars look to make a strong showing as the No. 2 seed in the WCC Championships on April 23-26 at San Diego.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU softball: season ends at Columbia Regional
- BYU golf: White leads Cougars to 11th place...
- BYU baseball: Schneemann wins it in bottom of...
- Brennon Anderson's 3-run blast helps lead BYU...
- BYU golf: Cougars wrap up second round play...
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for Minnesota...
- Morning links: Tim Lincecum to pitch for the...
- Adam Mangum: Picking the top 10 basketball...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 105
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 32
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 10
- Adam Mangum: Picking the top 10... 9
- Brennon Anderson's 3-run blast helps... 6
- Dick Harmon: WCC baseball championship:... 5