Utah Jazz: Trey Burke named Western Conference rookie of the month
Ann Heisenfelt, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — Trey Burke began his rookie season on the sideline with a broken finger. He ended it with a career-high scoring effort and hauling in another award from the NBA.
Burke, two days after his 32-point, nine-assist, seven-rebound outing in a 136-130 double-OT win at Minnesota, was named the Western Conference rookie of the month for April. He also earned that honor in December and January, becoming the first Jazzman to win it in multiple months.
The 6-foot-1 point guard scored an average of 15.6 points and topped all NBA rookies in assists with nine a game in seven contests.
Burke finished his rookie season averaging 12.8 points, 5.7 assists and 3.0 boards. He also won the Skills Challenge during All-Star Weekend and is expected to finish high in Rookie of the Year voting.
Karl Malone (December 1985) is the only other Jazz player to be named rookie of the month.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 79
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 65
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 29
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22