As for his first season in Utah, Lucas said, “I didn’t shoot the ball as well as I always have (32.6 percent). I was learning a different offense, a style than I’m used to playing and I had to adjust to that.’’
Lucas, who started six games early in the season while Trey Burke was injured, was known as a team player who always encouraged his teammates during games and was a mentor to the younger point guards, Burke and Diante Garrett.
“We went young this year and my whole thing was to keep those guys focused and make sure they didn’t drift off,’’ Lucas said. “This was new to me. I enjoyed it. I got frustrated at times because I wanted to be out there and wanted to play. I sat down with coach Ty and we had a man-to-man talk and I look at it more like, it was my time to help others.’’
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsay praised the veteran players, particularly for their leadership.
“Greg and Gail and Steve (Miller) said some words to the team after our last home game and some of the thank-yous were most appropriately directed towards Richard and Marvin,’’ Lindsay said. “We were challenged from a win-loss standpoint, but the group stayed together and worked hard all year long. They followed Ty’s leadership, and Marvin and Richard in particular get that credit.’’
And what about next year?
“We really appreciate both and under the right circumstances we can see one or both of them coming back,’’ he said.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34