As for his first season in Utah, Lucas said, “I didn’t shoot the ball as well as I always have (32.6 percent). I was learning a different offense, a style than I’m used to playing and I had to adjust to that.’’
Lucas, who started six games early in the season while Trey Burke was injured, was known as a team player who always encouraged his teammates during games and was a mentor to the younger point guards, Burke and Diante Garrett.
“We went young this year and my whole thing was to keep those guys focused and make sure they didn’t drift off,’’ Lucas said. “This was new to me. I enjoyed it. I got frustrated at times because I wanted to be out there and wanted to play. I sat down with coach Ty and we had a man-to-man talk and I look at it more like, it was my time to help others.’’
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsay praised the veteran players, particularly for their leadership.
“Greg and Gail and Steve (Miller) said some words to the team after our last home game and some of the thank-yous were most appropriately directed towards Richard and Marvin,’’ Lindsay said. “We were challenged from a win-loss standpoint, but the group stayed together and worked hard all year long. They followed Ty’s leadership, and Marvin and Richard in particular get that credit.’’
And what about next year?
“We really appreciate both and under the right circumstances we can see one or both of them coming back,’’ he said.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 21