As for his first season in Utah, Lucas said, “I didn’t shoot the ball as well as I always have (32.6 percent). I was learning a different offense, a style than I’m used to playing and I had to adjust to that.’’
Lucas, who started six games early in the season while Trey Burke was injured, was known as a team player who always encouraged his teammates during games and was a mentor to the younger point guards, Burke and Diante Garrett.
“We went young this year and my whole thing was to keep those guys focused and make sure they didn’t drift off,’’ Lucas said. “This was new to me. I enjoyed it. I got frustrated at times because I wanted to be out there and wanted to play. I sat down with coach Ty and we had a man-to-man talk and I look at it more like, it was my time to help others.’’
Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsay praised the veteran players, particularly for their leadership.
“Greg and Gail and Steve (Miller) said some words to the team after our last home game and some of the thank-yous were most appropriately directed towards Richard and Marvin,’’ Lindsay said. “We were challenged from a win-loss standpoint, but the group stayed together and worked hard all year long. They followed Ty’s leadership, and Marvin and Richard in particular get that credit.’’
And what about next year?
“We really appreciate both and under the right circumstances we can see one or both of them coming back,’’ he said.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48