Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — The number of Utahns with jobs continues to climb, as the state's unemployment rate is at 4.1 percent.
That's up from January and February, however, when Utah's unemployment rate hit a five-year low of 3.9 percent.
The Utah Department of Workforce Services reported Friday that Utah’s nonfarm payroll employment for March grew by an estimated 2.8 percent over March of 2013, adding 35,800 jobs to the economy in that year. The number of Utahns with meaningful employment registered at 1,310,200.
About 59,300 Utahns were unemployed during March and actively seeking work, the report states.
The national unemployment rate for the period remained unchanged at 6.7 percent.
Although Utah continues to experience positive job growth, the current growth rate of 2.8 percent is below the state’s long-run average of 3.1 percent.
The report showed that all of the 10 private sector industries measured in the survey posted net job increases in March as compared to last year. The largest employment increases were in trade, transportation and utilities — which added 8,400 jobs — while leisure and hospitality added 6,500 new jobs and the government sector added 4,500 positions.
The largest growth rates were seen in construction, up 6.3 percent, followed by leisure and hospitality, up 5.3 percent, and other services, up 4.7 percent.
Despite the slight decline in employment growth, Utah Gov. Gary Herbert lauded the sustained increase in the number of people across the state who are finding work.
“Today’s jobs report is further evidence that our economy continues to grow stronger,” Herbert said in a prepared statement. “With each new month of strong job growth and low unemployment, Utah further solidifies its position as the nation's premier economy.”
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: JasenLee1
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 52
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 8