Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News Archives
SALT LAKE CITY — The number of Utahns with jobs continues to climb, as the state's unemployment rate is at 4.1 percent.
That's up from January and February, however, when Utah's unemployment rate hit a five-year low of 3.9 percent.
The Utah Department of Workforce Services reported Friday that Utah’s nonfarm payroll employment for March grew by an estimated 2.8 percent over March of 2013, adding 35,800 jobs to the economy in that year. The number of Utahns with meaningful employment registered at 1,310,200.
About 59,300 Utahns were unemployed during March and actively seeking work, the report states.
The national unemployment rate for the period remained unchanged at 6.7 percent.
Although Utah continues to experience positive job growth, the current growth rate of 2.8 percent is below the state’s long-run average of 3.1 percent.
The report showed that all of the 10 private sector industries measured in the survey posted net job increases in March as compared to last year. The largest employment increases were in trade, transportation and utilities — which added 8,400 jobs — while leisure and hospitality added 6,500 new jobs and the government sector added 4,500 positions.
The largest growth rates were seen in construction, up 6.3 percent, followed by leisure and hospitality, up 5.3 percent, and other services, up 4.7 percent.
Despite the slight decline in employment growth, Utah Gov. Gary Herbert lauded the sustained increase in the number of people across the state who are finding work.
“Today’s jobs report is further evidence that our economy continues to grow stronger,” Herbert said in a prepared statement. “With each new month of strong job growth and low unemployment, Utah further solidifies its position as the nation's premier economy.”
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: JasenLee1
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- Utah, Western states say feds are all wet on...
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls officer...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 80
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 47
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 23
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 15