UVU track: McPherson sets UVU decathlon record at Mt. SAC Relays
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Utah Valley University junior Michael McPherson set a school record in the decathlon at the renowned Mt. SAC Relays on Thursday in Southern California with 7,271 points.
The 7,271 points were just 10 points shy of winning the event as the Wolverine junior finished second in the decathlon. McPherson, who won the decathlon at Mt. SAC a year ago, posted four personal records and tied another one during the two-day event.
Out of the 10 total events in the decathlon, McPherson won three of them as he took first in in the 100-meter dash (10.76), as well as tops in the long jump (7.22m) and the 400m dash (48.07). He also finished second in the 110m hurdles (14.89), second in the 1500m run (4:34:50), and fourth in the high jump (1.96m) and the pole vault (4.30m).
McPherson set the school record in the epic event by besting Andrew Levin's previous record (7,241) that was set in 2002 by 30 points on Thursday.
The 2014 Mt. SAC Relays/California Invitational Decathlon and Heptathlon were held Wednesday and Thursday at Azusa Pacific's Cougar Stadium in Azusa, Calif.
Also in action for UVU on Thursday at APU's Bryan Clay Invitational was freshman thrower McKay Burnett. Burnett recorded a toss of 48.42m, which was good enough for seventh place in his flight of the men's hammer throw.
A slew of distance runners also competed for the Wolverines late Thursday evening at Mt. SAC, and sophomore Trac Norris led the way by placing second in his heat of the men's 3000m steeplechase. Norris earned the second-place finish with a time of 9:02.67, which might hold up as an NCAA qualifying time for next month's NCAA Preliminary Rounds.
The Wolverines continue action in the Mt. SAC Relays on Friday and Saturday at Mt. SAC's Hilmer Lodge Stadium. UVU also competes at the Bryan Clay Invitational at APU's Cougar Stadium on Friday and Long Beach State's Beach Invitational at Cerritos College on Saturday.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33