LAYTON — Two people suspected of binding a woman and robbing her in her Layton home were arrested in Knoxville, Tenn., Thursday.
Police investigated an aggravated burglary that occurred April 11 in an elderly woman's home, near 700 North and 1000 East. The woman awoke to multiple people in her bedroom, who then bound her with duct tape, according to police. The burglars left with credit cards, medications and other valuables.
After the burglary, the intruders attempted numerous transactions with the credit cards and were successful in making some cash withdrawals, investigators said.
Police later identified two suspects in the case — Sarah Evertsen, 31, and Hunter Haynes, 30. The two had been hired by the victim more than a week earlier to clean the residence and perform other small jobs.
Thursday, Layton detectives determined that Evertsen and Haynes were staying at a hotel in Knoxville. Arrest warrants were obtained, and police in Knoxville took the the two into custody.
Both Evertsen and Haynes were charged in 2nd District Court Thursday with aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony; theft, a second-degree felony; unlawful acquisition or possession of a financial transaction card and unlawful use of a financial transaction card, third-degree felonies.
A search of court records indicates Evertsen pleaded guilty to two counts of theft in 2005. She was also charged in 2010 with possession of less than an ounce of marijuana.
Haynes pleaded guilty in 2005 to illegal possession or use of a controlled substance.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 52
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10