Utah Valley University was limited to five hits in a 5-0 loss in the first of a three-game series at league-leading Sacramento State on Thursday at John Smith Field.
Brennan Leitao pitched six innings and struck out nine to earn the win for the Hornets (23-14, 11-2). Leitao improved to 5-3, while Andrew Freter took the loss for the Wolverines (14-21, 7-6) and dropped to 2-6.
Freshman left-hander Patrick Wolfe threw 4.2 scoreless innings in relief for UVU in his longest outing to date. He allowed just two hits — one a bunt single — while Matt Davidson also pitched a scoreless inning. Sean Moysh had two hits to lead the offense.
“I thought Patrick and Matt did a really nice job for us today,” head coach Eric Madsen said. “We need to come out tomorrow and have a better showing all around.”
Three different relievers combined to toss three, one-hit innings for Sac State, with Zac Fuller’s one-out single in the ninth the only Wolverine hit over the final three innings.
The Hornets got two in the second and three in the third. David Del Grande hit a two-run home run in the third, his fifth of the year. Will Soto had three of the 10 Sac State hits including a double.
The series continues Friday with a 3 p.m. PT first pitch.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 137
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 58
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 47