Utah Valley University was limited to five hits in a 5-0 loss in the first of a three-game series at league-leading Sacramento State on Thursday at John Smith Field.
Brennan Leitao pitched six innings and struck out nine to earn the win for the Hornets (23-14, 11-2). Leitao improved to 5-3, while Andrew Freter took the loss for the Wolverines (14-21, 7-6) and dropped to 2-6.
Freshman left-hander Patrick Wolfe threw 4.2 scoreless innings in relief for UVU in his longest outing to date. He allowed just two hits — one a bunt single — while Matt Davidson also pitched a scoreless inning. Sean Moysh had two hits to lead the offense.
“I thought Patrick and Matt did a really nice job for us today,” head coach Eric Madsen said. “We need to come out tomorrow and have a better showing all around.”
Three different relievers combined to toss three, one-hit innings for Sac State, with Zac Fuller’s one-out single in the ninth the only Wolverine hit over the final three innings.
The Hornets got two in the second and three in the third. David Del Grande hit a two-run home run in the third, his fifth of the year. Will Soto had three of the 10 Sac State hits including a double.
The series continues Friday with a 3 p.m. PT first pitch.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 32
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26