Utah Valley University was limited to five hits in a 5-0 loss in the first of a three-game series at league-leading Sacramento State on Thursday at John Smith Field.
Brennan Leitao pitched six innings and struck out nine to earn the win for the Hornets (23-14, 11-2). Leitao improved to 5-3, while Andrew Freter took the loss for the Wolverines (14-21, 7-6) and dropped to 2-6.
Freshman left-hander Patrick Wolfe threw 4.2 scoreless innings in relief for UVU in his longest outing to date. He allowed just two hits — one a bunt single — while Matt Davidson also pitched a scoreless inning. Sean Moysh had two hits to lead the offense.
“I thought Patrick and Matt did a really nice job for us today,” head coach Eric Madsen said. “We need to come out tomorrow and have a better showing all around.”
Three different relievers combined to toss three, one-hit innings for Sac State, with Zac Fuller’s one-out single in the ninth the only Wolverine hit over the final three innings.
The Hornets got two in the second and three in the third. David Del Grande hit a two-run home run in the third, his fifth of the year. Will Soto had three of the 10 Sac State hits including a double.
The series continues Friday with a 3 p.m. PT first pitch.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11