BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's defensive back depth after transfer from Nebraska
DAVE WEAVER, ASSOCIATED PRESS
PROVO — BYU’s defensive secondary got deeper and better Thursday.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall announced the signing of defensive back Harvey Jackson, who is transferring from the University of Nebraska.
Jackson will have one season of eligibility with the Cougars and will join the team for the 2014 campaign after finishing his bachelor’s degree at Nebraska this spring. Jackson is scheduled to arrive in Provo this summer.
“Harvey is an experienced player and a mature individual with excellent character,” Mendenhall said in a statement. “He will join our program after graduating in construction management with a business minor. He is a great fit for BYU on and off the field.”
Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound safety, played significant minutes for the Cornhuskers last season. In the past three years, Jackson played in 35 games and four starts. He made 33 tackles in 10 games as a junior, including three starts. Jackson recorded 54 tackles in his three seasons in Lincoln.
With the signing of Jackson, the Cougars added depth to their defensive secondary. BYU already has senior Craig Bills returning, along with Robertson Daniel and Dallin Leavitt. Other safeties who will vie for playing time include Kai Nacua, Chris Badger, Mike Wadsworth and Kavika Fonua.
At cornerback, Jordan Johnson and Trent Trammell return from knee injuries. Daniel started at corner last year, but he is expected to move to safety, his natural position, in 2014.
Jackson, a native of Fresno, Texas, was ranked among the nation’s top 30 safety prospects, and one of the top 300 players in the country, by Scout.com. He played at Hightower High School in Missouri City, Texas.
Jackson received both Academic All-Big Ten and Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll recognition during his time at Nebraska.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice Bucket...
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 146
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 108
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 97
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 71
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 35
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should... 34