BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's defensive back depth after transfer from Nebraska
DAVE WEAVER, ASSOCIATED PRESS
PROVO — BYU’s defensive secondary got deeper and better Thursday.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall announced the signing of defensive back Harvey Jackson, who is transferring from the University of Nebraska.
Jackson will have one season of eligibility with the Cougars and will join the team for the 2014 campaign after finishing his bachelor’s degree at Nebraska this spring. Jackson is scheduled to arrive in Provo this summer.
“Harvey is an experienced player and a mature individual with excellent character,” Mendenhall said in a statement. “He will join our program after graduating in construction management with a business minor. He is a great fit for BYU on and off the field.”
Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound safety, played significant minutes for the Cornhuskers last season. In the past three years, Jackson played in 35 games and four starts. He made 33 tackles in 10 games as a junior, including three starts. Jackson recorded 54 tackles in his three seasons in Lincoln.
With the signing of Jackson, the Cougars added depth to their defensive secondary. BYU already has senior Craig Bills returning, along with Robertson Daniel and Dallin Leavitt. Other safeties who will vie for playing time include Kai Nacua, Chris Badger, Mike Wadsworth and Kavika Fonua.
At cornerback, Jordan Johnson and Trent Trammell return from knee injuries. Daniel started at corner last year, but he is expected to move to safety, his natural position, in 2014.
Jackson, a native of Fresno, Texas, was ranked among the nation’s top 30 safety prospects, and one of the top 300 players in the country, by Scout.com. He played at Hightower High School in Missouri City, Texas.
Jackson received both Academic All-Big Ten and Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll recognition during his time at Nebraska.
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- BYU special teams features some 'mystery and...
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU rugby...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Utah Jazz assistants (well, two of 'em)...
- NCAA 'service work' has been eye-opening for...
- Morning links: Utes ranked among the...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- BYU looking forward to an influx of... 53
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 29
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 20
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 19
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 19