BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's defensive back depth after transfer from Nebraska
DAVE WEAVER, ASSOCIATED PRESS
PROVO — BYU’s defensive secondary got deeper and better Thursday.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall announced the signing of defensive back Harvey Jackson, who is transferring from the University of Nebraska.
Jackson will have one season of eligibility with the Cougars and will join the team for the 2014 campaign after finishing his bachelor’s degree at Nebraska this spring. Jackson is scheduled to arrive in Provo this summer.
“Harvey is an experienced player and a mature individual with excellent character,” Mendenhall said in a statement. “He will join our program after graduating in construction management with a business minor. He is a great fit for BYU on and off the field.”
Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound safety, played significant minutes for the Cornhuskers last season. In the past three years, Jackson played in 35 games and four starts. He made 33 tackles in 10 games as a junior, including three starts. Jackson recorded 54 tackles in his three seasons in Lincoln.
With the signing of Jackson, the Cougars added depth to their defensive secondary. BYU already has senior Craig Bills returning, along with Robertson Daniel and Dallin Leavitt. Other safeties who will vie for playing time include Kai Nacua, Chris Badger, Mike Wadsworth and Kavika Fonua.
At cornerback, Jordan Johnson and Trent Trammell return from knee injuries. Daniel started at corner last year, but he is expected to move to safety, his natural position, in 2014.
Jackson, a native of Fresno, Texas, was ranked among the nation’s top 30 safety prospects, and one of the top 300 players in the country, by Scout.com. He played at Hightower High School in Missouri City, Texas.
Jackson received both Academic All-Big Ten and Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll recognition during his time at Nebraska.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 88
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20