Utah's double-overtime victory at Minnesota was an exciting way to finish a rough 2013-14 season, but it might come back to haunt the Jazz a bit at the NBA draft.
By virtue of Utah's win and Boston's season-ending loss to Washington, the Jazz and Celtics finished tied for the fourth-worst record in the league at 25-57.
This means Utah and Boston will split their lottery chances, resulting in each team having a 10.35 percent chance of winning the No. 1 pick and a 33.5 percent chance of finishing in the top three.
Losing to the T-Wolves would've given the Jazz sole possession of the fourth-worst record along with 11.9 percent odds of the top spot and a 37.8 percent chance of grabbing a top-three selection.
Also, by tying for fourth, the Jazz now only have a 69 percent probability of a top-five pick rather than 82.7 percent for being alone in 27th place overall.
The NBA will conduct a random drawing before the May 20 lottery to determine whether the Jazz or Celtics will be in the fourth or fifth positions, which will come into play if neither wins a top-three pick. That drawing, according to Sports Illustrated, will happen this Friday.
Four drawings, SI writer Chris Mannix explained, will take place for draft positioning to split up the following ties: Boston/Utah (4-5), Boston/Phoenix (17-18), Chicago/Toronto (19-20) and Charlotte/Houston/Miami (24-26).
The NBA draft takes place on June 26.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 31
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 20
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19