In his letter, ("Israeli Apartheid," April 10), J. Levinson defends Israel from mounting evidence that Israel has implemented a system of apartheid against Palestinians. This is an important issue for Americans. Apartheid is the most severe level of crime defined in International Law. It is a collection of individual crimes, (mostly war crimes), carried out over a sustained period for the purpose of racial domination and theft of resources. Israel’s system has been in place for nearly 70 years. The U.S, during that period, has given more aid to Israel than to any other country.
If charges of apartheid prevail, our government could be found complicit and Americans could find themselves paying reparations. I suggest readers check the situation for themselves — travel to Israel/Palestine and note the conditions of “Jewish nationals” vs. Palestinians, or read the International Legal Study, “Occupation, Colonialism, Apartheid,” by the HSRC of South Africa, or watch online testimony given at the Russell Tribunal Hearings on Palestine held in South Africa, 2011.
After visiting the Holy Land, South African leader Desmond Tutu said of Israel’s system, “God is weeping” and that Israel’s treatment of Palestinians is more severe than that which existed in South Africa. Tutu has publicly endorsed the international “Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions Campaign” (BDS) as a nonviolent means for civil society to help end Israel’s apartheid system.
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 115
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 50
- Capitalism and the common good:... 41
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36