The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list of life-changing books
Editor's note: Voting is ongoing, and since this story was published Wednesday, the Book of Mormon has dropped to No. 4, and its location on the list will continue to change. As a warning, some of the works that have been added by users and voted up since Wednesday are explicit and controversial.
The Book of Mormon climbed to the top of a list of life-changing books from BestBookRead.com Wednesday, April 16, thanks to user votes and social media interaction.
Vishen Lakhiani, founder and CEO of Mindvalley, was inspired to create the interactive list after talking with his friends.
"All of us have had these books that have touched us, that have transformed our lives and the way we view the world, and in most cases, we learned about these books from friends. They were spread by word of mouth," Lakhiani said in a video posted to YouTube on April 7.
With his friends, Lakhiani came up with the idea to "crowd source reading ideas." People around the world can submit and vote for the books that have been influential in their lives and inspire others to investigate these titles. The only criteria is that the book has changed your life.
"What's the one book that transformed your life forever? Help us build the ultimate list of life-changing books," BestBookRead.com reads.
On Wednesday, the Book of Mormon claimed the No. 1 spot on the list with help from a blog post by LDS Media Talk.
The post, published April 11, prompted readers with the question "How has the Book of Mormon changed your life?" Readers were encouraged to vote for their life changing-book at BestBookRead.com.
After the post, the Book of Mormon went from No. 25 on the list to No. 1, with more than 4,000 votes.
"This is an example of what Latter-day Saints can do when we stand for what we believe and we share it with others," reads the post from LDS Media Talk.
Alison Moore is a writer for the Faith and Family sections at DeseretNews.com. She is studying journalism and editing at Brigham Young University.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @alison_kathleen
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 99
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 89
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 34
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16