Editor's note: This article originally ran on Fivecentnickel.com. It has been reprinted here with permission.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau estimated in 2013 that outstanding student loans have swelled to over $1.2 trillion. Seven in ten college seniors who graduated in 2012 had student loan debt, at an average of $29,400. Scary! It is extremely important for kids to have a good handle on personal finance before they enter college. Personal finance is now becoming a part of the K-12 curriculum in many school districts, but the best education can only come from parents and habits developed at home. So how can we raise money-smart kids?
How do you teach your kids about money?
- 25 states with the lowest levels of personal...
- 9 startup companies perfect for your family
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- Consumer index climbs to record level in Utah
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Balancing act: First 'real' job teaches...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4 percent in...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 13
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4... 5
- Consumer index climbs to record level... 4