Editor's note: This article originally ran on Fivecentnickel.com. It has been reprinted here with permission.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau estimated in 2013 that outstanding student loans have swelled to over $1.2 trillion. Seven in ten college seniors who graduated in 2012 had student loan debt, at an average of $29,400. Scary! It is extremely important for kids to have a good handle on personal finance before they enter college. Personal finance is now becoming a part of the K-12 curriculum in many school districts, but the best education can only come from parents and habits developed at home. So how can we raise money-smart kids?
How do you teach your kids about money?
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus on...
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance primed...
- 3 reasons you should crowdfund your business
- Dave Ramsey says: Charging off a debt doesn't...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 46
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 22
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings 8
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- The cost of child care trumps rent... 3
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus... 2
- Want to see if your relationship will... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 2