Editor's note: This article originally ran on Fivecentnickel.com. It has been reprinted here with permission.
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau estimated in 2013 that outstanding student loans have swelled to over $1.2 trillion. Seven in ten college seniors who graduated in 2012 had student loan debt, at an average of $29,400. Scary! It is extremely important for kids to have a good handle on personal finance before they enter college. Personal finance is now becoming a part of the K-12 curriculum in many school districts, but the best education can only come from parents and habits developed at home. So how can we raise money-smart kids?
How do you teach your kids about money?
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price to pay...
- More Americans spending at least half their...
- How to fight the prom price war
- Rural hospitals struggle to stay open, adapt...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Crowdfunding: Where social media meets...
- Dave Ramsey says: Personal finance is all...
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on the poor
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21
- More Americans spending at least half... 7
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- Pope echoes feminist anthem of equal... 6
- $100 million for a home? Luxury buyers... 4
- We finally understand what robots mean... 2
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price... 2
- Exxon's 1Q profit falls 46 percent amid... 1