Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY – Once a promising young cyclist who rode with Jamis-Hagens and the Trek-Livestrong development team, Salt Lake’s Chase Pinkham died Sunday night at the age of 23.
Family members told VeloNews that it appears the West High graduate died of an accidental overdose on pain medication. Pinkham had been plagued with pain after being hit by a car while training in Canada in 2008.
The Deseret News chronicled his efforts to regain his cycling career in February 2010. The News also wrote about his participation in the Tour of Utah in 2011.
Pinkham talked about seeking treatment for “severe depression caused by years of dealing with chronic pain” as a result of the 2008 crash on his Facebook page in March.
In that post, dated March 9, he said that he shared his struggles so that others wouldn’t feel isolated.
“Dealing with chronic pain, years of medication and depression is something that may make you completely alone and hopeless, even when surrounded by the people that love you,” he wrote. “Please remember that if you are suffering currently, or ever end up suffering, that you are not alone and that people love you. There is help available and asking for it only proves that you have the strength to reach out and the desire to change the state you are in. Many suffer, but so few ask for the help that so many people are willing to give.”
He ended with, “I am sure many of you will see me very soon, as motivated and willing to succeed as I have ever been.”
A family friend told VeloNews that Pinkham was doing well and that his death was likely the result of an accidental overdose.
Twitter: adonsports EMAIL: email@example.com
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18