Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY – Once a promising young cyclist who rode with Jamis-Hagens and the Trek-Livestrong development team, Salt Lake’s Chase Pinkham died Sunday night at the age of 23.
Family members told VeloNews that it appears the West High graduate died of an accidental overdose on pain medication. Pinkham had been plagued with pain after being hit by a car while training in Canada in 2008.
The Deseret News chronicled his efforts to regain his cycling career in February 2010. The News also wrote about his participation in the Tour of Utah in 2011.
Pinkham talked about seeking treatment for “severe depression caused by years of dealing with chronic pain” as a result of the 2008 crash on his Facebook page in March.
In that post, dated March 9, he said that he shared his struggles so that others wouldn’t feel isolated.
“Dealing with chronic pain, years of medication and depression is something that may make you completely alone and hopeless, even when surrounded by the people that love you,” he wrote. “Please remember that if you are suffering currently, or ever end up suffering, that you are not alone and that people love you. There is help available and asking for it only proves that you have the strength to reach out and the desire to change the state you are in. Many suffer, but so few ask for the help that so many people are willing to give.”
He ended with, “I am sure many of you will see me very soon, as motivated and willing to succeed as I have ever been.”
A family friend told VeloNews that Pinkham was doing well and that his death was likely the result of an accidental overdose.
Twitter: adonsports EMAIL: email@example.com
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25