How much did President Obama donate to his local church?
Susan Walsh, Associated Press
The release of President Barack Obama’s tax returns has generated plenty of discussion, but some of the most interesting tidbits come not from how much he got, but from how much he gave.
According to the returns, which were posted on Whithouse.gov on Friday, Obama made $59,251.00 in charitable donations last year. That comes to 12.3 percent of the First Family’s income being donated to charity, with their largest donation going to The Fisher House Foundation, a charity that provides free housing for the families of veterans who are receiving health treatment.
As The Daily Caller points out, 0.3 percent of the president’s taxable income was tithed to St. John’s Church in Washington, D.C., a local evangelical church that the president has been known to attend on occasion.
According to Churchexecutive.com, only 5 percent of American adults donate 10 percent or more of their annual income, a number that is typically cited as the biblical definition of tithes.
- How much is your diploma worth? Money...
- Why you must teach your children about money
- 25 states with the lowest levels of personal...
- Do jobs need to be fulfilling?
- Davis County cities propose property tax...
- 'Grandparent' scammers active despite...
- 9 startup companies perfect for your family
- 5 ways to save money, improve quality of life...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 13
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4... 12
- How much is your diploma worth? Money... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 8
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- Consumer index climbs to record level... 4
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 2
- $1,000 Sovaldi now hepatitis treatment... 2