On the strength of Pleasant Grove's junior pitcher Easton Walker and great defense from the rest of the Vikings, the Knights from Lone Peak High School were shut down and dominated from the very start of Tuesday's baseball game.
Pleasant Grove scored five runs on three walks and three hits in the bottom of the first inning and left one man on base before Lone Peak's sophomore pitcher Tyler Thompson could strike out the Viking's ninth batter for the third out to halt the onslaught.
Walker fanned nine batters and allowed two runs on six hits and three errors. Walker pitched a complete game, throwing only 86 pitches. Lone Peak had four innings of three up and three down. With a balanced attack plan of ball control defense and great pitching, Pleasant Grove stopped Lone Peak's offense from getting on base, let alone scoring.
Lone Peak generated its two runs in the top of the fourth inning on four hits and Pleasant Grove committing all three of its errors in that inning. The Knights used four pitchers to get them through the game, throwing 28 more pitches than Walker.
Pleasant Grove scored a sixth run of the game in the bottom of the sixth inning and then shut down Lone Peak's last three batters to close out the game.
"I want the kids to improve with each game, each practice, and teach them to stay balanced," said Viking Head Coach Darrin Henry. "This was a good win today but there are things we can improve upon."
Both teams play on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Lone Peak High School for the second game of the series and finish on Friday at 4 p.m. back at Pleasant Grove High School.
At the moment, Pleasant Grove has a 6-1 region record and a 9-5 record overall. Lone Peak has a 6-4 record in region and 9-6 overall.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on Pleasant Grove High School varsity sports for Deseret Connect.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24