Bingham kicker commits to Utah after Tuesday's practice
SOUTH JORDAN — Chayden Johnston hasn’t even started his senior season, but he’s already decided where he’ll play once his high school career concludes.
The 6-foot junior gave a verbal commitment to Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham after Tuesday’s practice at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
“Utah has always been my No. 1 choice,” Johnston said. “I figured, why wait?”
Johnston spent Tuesday’s practice on the sideline with Utah's kicking corps, including ski-racer-turned-kicker Andy Phillips.
“During practice I’m able to hang out with them,” Johnston said. “They all treat me very well, and we already have a great relationship.”
Johnston is a first-team all-state winner and one of the top rated prep kickers in the country. He said his longest field goal in a game is 51 yards, while his longest in practice is 68 yards.
His high school coach, Bingham’s Dave Peck, said the fact that Utah offered him a scholarship this spring speaks volumes about his talent. Until high school, Johnston was a soccer player.
“If he could go to any school in the nation, that’s where he wanted to go,” Peck said.
Johnston was offered a scholarship after Utah’s Junior Day a couple of weeks ago. He plans to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints right after high school so he probably won’t get to play with Phillips, who is just finishing his freshman year at the U.
Johnston said he’d always hoped to play football in college, but he’s still trying to comprehend that his dream has come true.
“It’s a little shocking that all of this has happened,” he said. “But I’m very excited.”
Twitter: adonsports EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in University...
- Elder Perry the sports fan
- Sisterly Love: Brynlee Lindsey jeopardizing...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- Ex-Olympus High star Nick Paulos to get Jazz...
- Morning links: Reflecting on Andrei...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 134
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 38
- Several early season game times set for... 32
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 17
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout... 14
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 13