Whittingham supports university's new memorandum of understanding with Ute Tribe
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Tuesday’s “Memorandum of Understanding between the Ute Indian Tribe and the University of Utah” was huge. The agreement encourages the university to use the “Ute” name for its sports programs with the full support of the tribe.
“We’ve been the Utes forever and that’s our mascot, our logo,” Whittingham said. “ I wasn’t really in on any of the discussion, obviously, but to be able to get things lined up and everybody on the same page, I think, is a big positive.”
Whittingham expressed hope that after hearing things off and on for the past several years about being able to use the circle and feathers logo that it can be put to rest — at least for the time being.
“So that’s a good thing,” Whittingham said. “That’s part of the heritage of the university and the football program.”
As for talk of a commemorative jersey to be worn by the football team each November, Whittingham was aware of the discussion.
“I’ve heard things to that effect,” he said. “I haven’t seen or heard exactly what’s going to take place, but I have heard that that’s going to happen.”
Whittingham added that he supports it.
“Sure. Absolutely. No question.”
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 148
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27