Whittingham supports university's new memorandum of understanding with Ute Tribe
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Tuesday’s “Memorandum of Understanding between the Ute Indian Tribe and the University of Utah” was huge. The agreement encourages the university to use the “Ute” name for its sports programs with the full support of the tribe.
“We’ve been the Utes forever and that’s our mascot, our logo,” Whittingham said. “ I wasn’t really in on any of the discussion, obviously, but to be able to get things lined up and everybody on the same page, I think, is a big positive.”
Whittingham expressed hope that after hearing things off and on for the past several years about being able to use the circle and feathers logo that it can be put to rest — at least for the time being.
“So that’s a good thing,” Whittingham said. “That’s part of the heritage of the university and the football program.”
As for talk of a commemorative jersey to be worn by the football team each November, Whittingham was aware of the discussion.
“I’ve heard things to that effect,” he said. “I haven’t seen or heard exactly what’s going to take place, but I have heard that that’s going to happen.”
Whittingham added that he supports it.
“Sure. Absolutely. No question.”
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- BYU-Utah State is a rivalry again due to...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35