Whittingham supports university's new memorandum of understanding with Ute Tribe
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Tuesday’s “Memorandum of Understanding between the Ute Indian Tribe and the University of Utah” was huge. The agreement encourages the university to use the “Ute” name for its sports programs with the full support of the tribe.
“We’ve been the Utes forever and that’s our mascot, our logo,” Whittingham said. “ I wasn’t really in on any of the discussion, obviously, but to be able to get things lined up and everybody on the same page, I think, is a big positive.”
Whittingham expressed hope that after hearing things off and on for the past several years about being able to use the circle and feathers logo that it can be put to rest — at least for the time being.
“So that’s a good thing,” Whittingham said. “That’s part of the heritage of the university and the football program.”
As for talk of a commemorative jersey to be worn by the football team each November, Whittingham was aware of the discussion.
“I’ve heard things to that effect,” he said. “I haven’t seen or heard exactly what’s going to take place, but I have heard that that’s going to happen.”
Whittingham added that he supports it.
“Sure. Absolutely. No question.”
- BYU basketball: National experts weigh in on...
- 'Meet the Mormons' missionary, Anthony...
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns to...
- Dick Harmon: Work of BYU's new strength coach...
- 1A boys basketball tournament: Live streams...
- Kaufusi providing BYU with much-needed inside...
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes about his...
- BYU looking to get off bubble, into NCAA...
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 77
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 52
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- Brad Rock: When it comes to rioting,... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- BYU football: Christian Stewart returns... 30
- Morning links: Nate Orchard writes... 27