Whittingham supports university's new memorandum of understanding with Ute Tribe
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said Tuesday’s “Memorandum of Understanding between the Ute Indian Tribe and the University of Utah” was huge. The agreement encourages the university to use the “Ute” name for its sports programs with the full support of the tribe.
“We’ve been the Utes forever and that’s our mascot, our logo,” Whittingham said. “ I wasn’t really in on any of the discussion, obviously, but to be able to get things lined up and everybody on the same page, I think, is a big positive.”
Whittingham expressed hope that after hearing things off and on for the past several years about being able to use the circle and feathers logo that it can be put to rest — at least for the time being.
“So that’s a good thing,” Whittingham said. “That’s part of the heritage of the university and the football program.”
As for talk of a commemorative jersey to be worn by the football team each November, Whittingham was aware of the discussion.
“I’ve heard things to that effect,” he said. “I haven’t seen or heard exactly what’s going to take place, but I have heard that that’s going to happen.”
Whittingham added that he supports it.
“Sure. Absolutely. No question.”
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- BYU looking to make a big splash at Maui...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- BYU looking for strong finish in intriguing...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 151
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 66
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 40
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 24
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21