Utah Jazz: Corbin, players have one last game before questions must be answered
The Jazz will determine if they want Corbin to return after being the head coach since Hall of Famer Jerry Sloan’s midseason resignation in February 2011, or if a new direction is preferred. The Corbin Era has been an up-and-down period, which has included some mix-and-match lineups without a star player, resulting in a tumultuous ending to that 2010-11 campaign, a surprise playoff appearance in the lockout-shortened 2012, a late-but-unsuccessful push to the playoffs in 2013 and this whirlwind of a development and rebranding phase in 2014 during which five of the top six players are between 21 and 24 years old.
Asked to assess his own season in which he became the go-to guy and team captain for the first time, Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward sort of summed up the season for the entire squad.
“I learned that I can be the guy. I just have to be more consistent. I think that’s kind of the theme for our whole team,” said Hayward, who has his own contract issue to be resolved this summer.
“We’ve seen potential out of everybody. It’s just the inconsistency that gets you. The guys that do it every single night, those are the All-Stars. You can’t be good one game and take four games off and come back with another strong one. It’s got to be every night.”
Corbin was also asked to expound on what he’s gleaned from the most challenging full season of his head coaching career (losing Deron Williams down the stretch in 2011 wasn’t exactly fun, mind you).
“I don't know if that's a good question right now. It's a question to be asked,” Corbin said in the aftermath of Monday’s 119-104 loss to the Lakers. “It's a question I have to ask myself. It’s a question I have to accept (and) figure out where I go from here.”
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26