Utah Jazz: Corbin, players have one last game before questions must be answered
The Jazz will determine if they want Corbin to return after being the head coach since Hall of Famer Jerry Sloan’s midseason resignation in February 2011, or if a new direction is preferred. The Corbin Era has been an up-and-down period, which has included some mix-and-match lineups without a star player, resulting in a tumultuous ending to that 2010-11 campaign, a surprise playoff appearance in the lockout-shortened 2012, a late-but-unsuccessful push to the playoffs in 2013 and this whirlwind of a development and rebranding phase in 2014 during which five of the top six players are between 21 and 24 years old.
Asked to assess his own season in which he became the go-to guy and team captain for the first time, Jazz shooting guard Gordon Hayward sort of summed up the season for the entire squad.
“I learned that I can be the guy. I just have to be more consistent. I think that’s kind of the theme for our whole team,” said Hayward, who has his own contract issue to be resolved this summer.
“We’ve seen potential out of everybody. It’s just the inconsistency that gets you. The guys that do it every single night, those are the All-Stars. You can’t be good one game and take four games off and come back with another strong one. It’s got to be every night.”
Corbin was also asked to expound on what he’s gleaned from the most challenging full season of his head coaching career (losing Deron Williams down the stretch in 2011 wasn’t exactly fun, mind you).
“I don't know if that's a good question right now. It's a question to be asked,” Corbin said in the aftermath of Monday’s 119-104 loss to the Lakers. “It's a question I have to ask myself. It’s a question I have to accept (and) figure out where I go from here.”
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 57
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 50
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45