U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued use of Utes
Create and widely distribute "Standards for Appropriate Fan Behavior" to encourage respect for Ute traditions by those attending university sporting events.
Work with the tribe to build an educational outreach program for youth on the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation and students on campus in Salt Lake City, including summer youth camps, college recruiting trips, and visits by U. athletes to the reservation.
Sponsor an annual opportunity for tribal members to attend university sporting events and meet with athletes, as allowed by NCAA regulations.
Honor tribal members with a special uniform worn by the Utes football team during a home game in November, which is recognized as Native American Heritage Month. An honor guard of military veterans who are tribal members will also be invited to carry the flags on to the field before a November home game.
Pershing added one other item to the list before he and Howell signed the agreement.
"The university made a decision this week to put a person out here, a part of what we call our Utah College Advising Corps," the president said. "This will be a full-time University of Utah graduate that will be (in Fort Duchesne) working with the high school and the high school students.
"If a child from the tribe is qualified to come to the University of Utah, we're going to encourage (them) to do that," Pershing added later.
Miya Cerno, a junior and the reigning Miss Native American at Uintah High School, called the promise of additional help with getting into college "exciting."
"I would consider the University of Utah," Cerno said after Tuesday's signing.
"I think when (my friends) hear about what happened today, I feel they would be more interested in going to University of Utah because it's who we are and they carry our name," she said.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12