UVU track: Kyler Sprague named WAC Track Athlete of the Week
Utah Valley University's Kyler Sprague was named the Western Athletic Conference men's track Athlete of the Week for the week of April 7-13. The conference honor was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Sprague, a freshman from Kaysville, Utah (Davis HS), took second in the 400-meter hurdles and sixth in the 110-meter hurdles at the Utah Spring Classic in Salt Lake City this past weekend. Sprague posted his fastest-ever time in the 400m hurdles to take second in that race with a blazing time of 51.81 seconds. His 51.81 was fast enough to be the top time in the WAC this season, as well as rank him second in the event in UVU history. It is also tied for 16th in the West Region and 26th in the nation. Sprague also ran a time of 14.80 seconds in the 110m hurdles to earn a sixth-place finish in that race.
The conference award is Sprague's first of the season and first of his career.
The WAC also recognized Idaho's Matt Sullivan as the league's field Athlete of the Week. Sullivan, a junior from Caldwell, Idaho (Caldwell HS), finished second in the premier portion of the men's pole vault at the Sun Angel Classic. His vault of 5.36m ranks second-best all-time in Idaho history. It is also first in the WAC, 10th in the NCAA West Region and 14th in the NCAA so far this season.
Idaho's Alycia Butterworth and Grand Canyon's Vanessa Levy were also recognized as the WAC's women's track and field Athletes of the Week on Tuesday.
Sprague and the Wolverine track and field teams are back in action this week in California, when they take part at the Mt. SAC Relays, the Bryan Clay Invitational and the Beach Invitational.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Curtain raiser: Quin Snyder Era begins in...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 41
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 35