UVU track: Kyler Sprague named WAC Track Athlete of the Week
Utah Valley University's Kyler Sprague was named the Western Athletic Conference men's track Athlete of the Week for the week of April 7-13. The conference honor was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Sprague, a freshman from Kaysville, Utah (Davis HS), took second in the 400-meter hurdles and sixth in the 110-meter hurdles at the Utah Spring Classic in Salt Lake City this past weekend. Sprague posted his fastest-ever time in the 400m hurdles to take second in that race with a blazing time of 51.81 seconds. His 51.81 was fast enough to be the top time in the WAC this season, as well as rank him second in the event in UVU history. It is also tied for 16th in the West Region and 26th in the nation. Sprague also ran a time of 14.80 seconds in the 110m hurdles to earn a sixth-place finish in that race.
The conference award is Sprague's first of the season and first of his career.
The WAC also recognized Idaho's Matt Sullivan as the league's field Athlete of the Week. Sullivan, a junior from Caldwell, Idaho (Caldwell HS), finished second in the premier portion of the men's pole vault at the Sun Angel Classic. His vault of 5.36m ranks second-best all-time in Idaho history. It is also first in the WAC, 10th in the NCAA West Region and 14th in the NCAA so far this season.
Idaho's Alycia Butterworth and Grand Canyon's Vanessa Levy were also recognized as the WAC's women's track and field Athletes of the Week on Tuesday.
Sprague and the Wolverine track and field teams are back in action this week in California, when they take part at the Mt. SAC Relays, the Bryan Clay Invitational and the Beach Invitational.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45