BYU tennis: No. 57 Cougars finish regular season in Pacific Northwest
After capping an undefeated home slate, No. 57 BYU women’s tennis looks to finish out the West Coast Conference regular season on the road as it faces Portland on Thursday at 10 a.m. PDT and Gonzaga on Friday at 2 p.m.
“The girls are feeling confident,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “In school we’re in finals, so we just have to stay focused in tennis and play one match at a time. We’re looking forward to finishing it off against Portland and Gonzaga.”
The Cougars (10-7, 6-1 WCC) are coming off their first unbeaten home schedule since the 1998 season. Sophomore Nicolette Tran clinched the 4-3 win over San Diego with her comeback win at No. 2 singles.
BYU looks to maintain its hold on second place in the WCC, first facing the Pilots (5-9, 1-6 WCC). The Cougars own the head-to-head historical record with a 4-0 mark.
Against the Bulldogs (8-8, 3-4 WCC), the team has a 2-0 all-time advantage.
“The more matches we play, I think the better we get,” Jones-Spencer said. “It will be a good opportunity for us to work on a few things we need to fine tune for the conference tournament.”
Next week, the Cougars look to impress in the WCC Championships on April 23-26.
McKay Perry is the sports information director for BYU men's and women's tennis. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double overtime...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between BYU...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Rapid Fire: Hamson cements her legacy; Utah...
- BYU-Memphis gameday glance
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double... 94
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record... 19
- Miracle Bowl, 34 years later: I don't... 17
- Stewart has brought back an identity... 16