Husband says he didn't know about wife's pregnancies, police say
Conditions of 7 infant bodies pose autopsy challenges, medical examiner says
According to court documents, West had been purchasing large amounts of iodine — a precursor to making methamphetamine — from a livestock business in Ohio under a fake name from 2002 to 2005 and giving them to another person. He ordered a total of 84 pints through seven orders, according to court documents, which could have potentially made 28 ounces of meth. West told investigators another man paid him $250 for each iodine shipment.
On June 7, 2005, DEA investigators conducted a "knock and talk" investigation at the couple's Pleasant Grove home, 536 E. 200 North. Huntsman — who is referred to as Megan West in court documents — opened the door and "allowed the officers to look through the residence." Once investigators were satisfied that Darren West was not in the house, officers called his cellphone and left a message for him.
The scope of the knock and talk investigation did not allow investigators to meticulously go through drawers, cupboards or even boxes in the garage.
DEA agents returned the next day and performed a "trash cover" at the residence, meaning they dug through the family's trash cans in front of their curb. The DEA said Tuesday it is not legally required to obtain a search warrant for trash can searches. And because DEA agents were able to collect enough evidence for their case without officially searching the home, they never obtained a search warrant.
In the trash can, police found phosphorus evidence, another common meth precursor.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 108
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 68
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 54
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 38
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 33
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 31