Jeff Chiu, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — A transportation company that got its start in San Francisco is coming to Utah.
The ride-sharing app Lyft will be launched with a fleet of local drivers driving cars with pink mustaches Friday night in Salt Lake City.
According to online video pitches, the service aims to build community by linking drivers with people who need rides. A promotional video on YouTube says that drivers employed through Lyft can meet a new person every day.
Still, some Salt Lake City leaders are mulling over how the service will fit in among more conventional transportation options.
"We know that this type of mobility option is certainly very interesting," said Robin Hutcheson, Salt Lake City's transportation director. "Whether it's good or bad is beside the point. It's an evolution in how people are choosing to be transported."
However, not everyone agrees. Several taxi companies said Lyft should be regulated the same way they are and that taxi drivers spend lots of money to get properly registered with the city.
The Salt Lake City Airport Ground Transportation Office is in charge of enforcing those regulations. Manager Larry Bowers learned about Lyft's impending launch from the Deseret News. He said he intends to consult with the mayor's office, since he believes Lyft drivers would be operating illegally.
Currently, ground transportation operators have to carry a business license, must show a badge at the airport and must undergo strict security screenings from the Transportation Security Administration. Bowers says he believes "substantial penalties" and fines are likely.
A Lyft representative said each of Lyft's drivers undergo thorough background checks and vehicle inspections and are also backed by $1 million in additional liability insurance through the company.
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Heavy ski traffic highlights need for better...
- Sharing stories is how to best leave a...
- Feds arrest 82 undocumented immigrants with...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 48
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15