Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two people were arrested over the weekend for allegedly using fake IDs to get discounts on Apple products.
William Torres, 22, and Kayla Nunez, 19, both from New York, were arrested Saturday for investigation of communications fraud, theft by deception and possession of forged documents.
The manager of the Apple Store at City Creek Center, 50 S. Main, called police to report two people were attempting to purchase iPhones using fake Pennsylvania identifications. The IDs had the names of actual existing Apple customers but had pictures of the suspects attached to them. Police did not say how the store manager knew the IDs were fake.
Torres purchased six iPhone 5 devices from the store, and eight iPhone 5s at the Apple store at Fashion Place Mall using another fake ID, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
Nunez also purchased five iPhone 5s from the Salt Lake store using a false Pennsylvania driver's license, the report states.
By using an existing customer's name, police say Nunez and Torres were able to add another line to the existing customer's account and get a discount on the purchase of each phone. Torres purchased phones worth $649 for $199 each, resulting in a loss to Apple of $6,286, according to the report. Nunez's alleged purchases resulted in a loss of $2,250 for Apple.
Salt Lake police on Tuesday did not know how the suspects obtained the names of existing customers.
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- AP Photos: 4 seasons in 1 war on WWI...
- Theater shooter's parents plead for his life,...
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in...
- Feisty former NYC schools chief cuts loose on...
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his powers
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there a...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 9