Utah's Michelle Plouffe, BYU's Jennifer Hamson selected in 2nd round of WNBA draft
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two local women’s basketball players were selected in the second round of the WNBA draft Monday night.
Utah forward Michelle Plouffe was taken with the 19th overall pick by the Seattle Storm, while BYU center Jennifer Hamson was taken with the 23rd overall pick by the Los Angeles Spark.
Plouffe had been projected as high as a top-10 pick, while Hamson was expected to be drafted in the second or third round because of her decision to play volleyball this fall for BYU.
Hamson committed to return to BYU to play her senior season for the Cougars' volleyball team and told the WNBA before the draft of her plans, but that didn’t keep Los Angeles from selecting her.
Hamson was a first-team All-American in volleyball in 2012, but sat out last year to concentrate on basketball, where she helped lead the Cougars to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament.
Plouffe, a native of Edmonton, Canada, is one of several Canadian players to play at Utah, following in the footsteps of Kim Smith and Shona Thorburn, who both played in the WNBA. Plouffe finished her career second in both rebounding average (8.8 rpg) and blocked shots and fourth in career scoring average at 15.8 ppg.
After being drafted Monday night, Plouffe tweeted, “Seattle here I come!”
In the first round, Seattle took UConn guard Bria Hartley with the No. 7 pick, while Los Angeles didn’t have a first-round pick. Later in the evening, Seattle traded Hartley to Washington.
Stanford’s Chiney Ogwumike was selected No. 1 by Connecticut, while Odyssey Sims of Baylor went second to Tulsa. San Antonio took Notre Dame’s Kayla McBride with the third pick.
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 64
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 45
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40