Utah Jazz: Appreciative Jazz fans give Coach Tyrone Corbin a thank-you card
David Locke's Twitter, Utah Jazz
SALT LAKE CITY — Tyrone Corbin has had a rough season in multiple ways — from his team’s record to a constant cry from a segment of Utah Jazz fans who want him fired.
Before Monday’s home finale, the Jazz coach received something positive — a thank-you card from a group of loyal supporters.
Several dozen fans signed a large card with a pop-out trophy, a bunch of signatures and notes, and the friendly message, “Win or lose, thanks for always being there.”
The idea was brainstormed by the popular, albeit anonymous, Jazz fan who goes by the name of “@LostTacoVendor” on Twitter. Clint Peterson (aka @Clintonite33 on Twitter) helped garner signatures and handwritten messages.
“Ty deserved some credit for showing up and working hard this particular season,” Peterson said. “We fans wanted him to know we noticed.”
Jazz radio play-by-play broadcaster David Locke delivered the card to Corbin about two hours before tipoff.
The coach was touched by the gesture.
“It’s great for that group to spend their time and efforts to give me a card showing how much they appreciate the year and the growth of the young guys and how excited they are about how they’re getting better,” Corbin said. “I really appreciate their support.”
Though #firety has been a popular Twitter hashtag and his job has been regularly called for on sports talk radio, in message boards and on blogs, Corbin said he’s received a flow of positivity throughout the team’s challenging times.
“It’s great,” he said. “Through all that’s gone on this year and all the criticism, I think that fans that really understand what’s going on and have been part of this franchise for years understand the difficulties.”
Corbin has previously said he'll talk to Jazz management about his future after this season concludes. So, did he get sentimental thinking that Monday's contest against the Lakers could be his final game coaching at EnergySolutions Arena after two-plus years as head coach?
“No,” Corbin said during his pregame interview. “I’m not even thinking about it right now.”
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Ken Beazer proud of his accomplishments at...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 90
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 58
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 29
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 15
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8